Improvement switching to MSD or similar igniton?

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
I was just looking at Summit's site and was wondering if I'd see any improvement in switching out to an MSD, Mallory, or similar ignition system over my stock electronic igniton.

Right now I just have a cheap napa electronic box and distributer, stock coil, and 7.5 mm wires.

#1- the distributor is totally modular. the total curve and how fast or slow it comes in.

#2- better built. all machined from billet aluminum(distributor). more spark.

i went from my orange box "mp performance" to the trio (box, dist., coil) and love it. the mp ones can be "tuned" by welding weights, etc.... BUT it is now tuned for ONLY that engine and it still has a cast skeleton. once again, msd is tuneable to whatever engine you put it in, by changing springs and changing the advance stop bushing.

do it, buy it . you WILL be happy.

One thing that you will notice especially if you have a cam of some kind in there is an improved idle quality. Look at the Mallory stuff. It costs less than the MSD and its all digital instead of analog. I have the Mallory 685 and I love it. It has a adjustable start retard a switchable retard that I use when I'm spraying, 2 rev limiters, and I know there's more that i can't remember now. Give it a look.

I just put mine in last weekend, I noticed a better /Smotther idle, and easier starting. I put in the MSD 6A, and a Blaster 2 Coil. It was nice to get rid of the electronic ignition and Ballast resitor, it looks much cleaner under the hood.

Robb Adams

-
Back