in a pickle any machinists?

-
So your saying he's the only one that knows what he's doing? I've been at this for 20 years now buddy. If you read the initial post from the OP he states the bolt is too far down the hole to weld a nut to. Its also cast heads so trying to build up weld inside the hole will just fuse the nut to head and make a worse situation.

Of course not. What I am saying is doing it that way with someone who knows how to tig weld will result in 100% success. I'm glad for you buddy. I've been doing it since 1974. I've seen people take a tig welder and build up on a bolt over an inch deep and get it out. No damage to any surrounding area. I couldn't tig weld my way out of a pile of poop, but I'm sure you can do it all.

Masonary bit worked! slow but worked. though drilling and monkeying around the hole got a bit wobbled but the heli coil fits and seems to hold.

Glad you got it Josh. You know we were all just trying to help.

I know you're stoked you got it handled with minimal effort. I know you're tired of all the hurdles. It does get old.

I couldn't tig weld my way out of a pile of poop, but I'm sure you can do it all.

Is that a shot? I have never claimed to know everything or able to do everything. But when someone posts a problem that I have successfully been able to resolve on multiple occasions, I will always offer my assistance in any way shape or form.

Sorry for being an automotive enthusiast.

Is that a shot? I have never claimed to know everything or able to do everything. But when someone posts a problem that I have successfully been able to resolve on multiple occasions, I will always offer my assistance in any way shape or form.

Sorry for being an automotive enthusiast.

Several ways to skin this cat. All of the fixes that were posted have worked for the guys who posted them. Funny cause I had just bought my TIG Welder the week before I had my problem. If I did not have a TIG one of the other fixing scenario's would have been put into play. I have never heard of your trick before and I am sure at some point in this game I will be using it for sure....On my way to buy some crayon's and put in my tool box!! haha

Its all good!!:D

Not true with a Tig Welder even if it is busted off past the flush point. You have so much control over the weld puddle/heat that it can be done without fusing it to the cast material...... the tungsten tip will fit right down in the hole easily . Just something to think about is all. Every situation is different. Location etc plays a big roll in how to approach it.

I have done it the way I have explained and it works perfect. The ez out busted off just like the OP's situation and everything. No reason to get all hostile over it........:D

Exactly. Tig is the method that works. In my ten years as a machinist, I never found a drill that would drill an easy out. They are the same hardness. The drill will walk around, destroying the hole.

Our shop had a tig and an EDM machine. Nine times out of ten, the tig would do it. Only when a mechanic with "years of experience" buggered up the hole trying to drill out an easy out would we have to use the EDM. We made lots of money by guys not stopping when they were in over their heads. I've seen broken bolts with easy outs and multiple drill bits broken off in them.

glad you got it out i will have to try the the masonery bit net time

-
Back