In an effort to give back to the community...

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I have discovered, as many of you have, that the rubber bumper strips are not reproduced - at least I haven't been able to find any for the '74-76 thin bumperettes. However, in a past life I ran my own mold making and casting business, and it occurred to me that I would be able to get one of my strips close to factory perfect, make a mold, then cast a set in UV resistant polyurethane rubber so I would have a perfect looking set. They would not be DOT certified, but they would have the same look and approximately the same feel as they did in the '70s.

Would there be any interest in these as something others would buy? I know I've seen a lot of people just remove the bumperettes entirely, and I'm not sure if that's a preference or just because there's not a supply of decent looking rubber to dress them up.

This is a preliminary feeler - I haven't even begun making the master yet. The initial startup cost would not be inexpensive, and the purchase price of the reproductions would probably be in the $100 ballpark, so before I jump out on that limb I thought I'd ask.

The reproductions would use the metal cores of the originals, so they could be bolted back on properly.

Thanks, and I'm looking for honest input - I taught public school Latin for almost 20 years, and was married to an accountant for almost that long, so I have a pretty thick skin. :) (I am now happily married to an amazing medical professional. Just bragging now.)

Latin! In a public school? You must be part armadillo. I taught electronics at a public high school for eight years, and I can really relate to the Blues Brothers singing ”Stand By Your Man” in a chicken-wire cage.

Latin! In a public school? You must be part armadillo. I taught electronics at a public high school for eight years, and I can really relate to the Blues Brothers singing ”Stand By Your Man” in a chicken-wire cage.

Ha! Yeah...there weren't many of us left when I got hurt on the job and had to quit. Probably even fewer now. I also taught electronics, computers, and a few other nerdy things.

Will they fit on my '70 bumper guards? If so, I'm in. I can provide measurements if it will help. Paul.

I would expect there are some folks out there who would want these. However, one of the first "upgrades" I did on my 74 Duster was to remove the bumper guards, LOL.

IMG_2021.JPG

-
Back