In of Advice and or Help

-

64X2

Mohel at your service.
Reaction score
I have reached a point where I realize, I have no money or will ever have enough to have someone replace the rear quarter on my 64 Valiant. The quarter panel was damaged a few years ago when the car was side swiped by a semi. I have continued to drive the car in hopes of one day finding someone who I trust enough to the work for me, that has not happen nor has the funds magically appeared. This leaves me with only one option to do it myself, I know that this is a daunting task and not something just anybody should attempt, but I have been left with no choice. I have all the tools either in my garage or available, so that is not an issue. Now what I am looking for is peoples advice as to where to cut, how to cut, alignment issues, welding issues, and or any good advice on how to tackle something I have never done before. I feel like I can do this with patients time and help from this community, I will not start this until I have enough advice no sense in jumping in deep water with out a life jacket,
Thanks in Advance...
pete

Ok this what I am looking at for damage to repair....

110_0387.jpg

110_0385.jpg

110_0386.jpg

110_0382.jpg

110_0381.jpg

110_0379.jpg

110_0380.jpg

110_0378.jpg

Here is a pic of a good quarter for reference.....
110_0377.jpg

110_0376.jpg

since I am doing this myself I will weld up the gas filler and move it to the top and add a flip open style gas cap, like the Chargers. It will go in this area....
110_0383.jpg

I talked to the guy who hung my quearters on my scamp and the latest thing is gluing the panels. As far as where to cut I'm not sure. I know you need to overlap the panels a little. I think after you cut you bend the stationary panel in to allow the overlap. Good luck. Take your time.

Do you have a tech school in your area where you might take a body class?
Is there rust in what you have? Is a new quarter available?
I think you might find moving the gas filler tube to be a bit more than expected. I would think you would need some flat surface on which to mount it. Have you seen it done before?
C

I unfortunately can't afford anything at this time and that is why I am trying to do this myself..I have a full quarter off another two door car that I will be using....
Do you have a tech school in your area where you might take a body class?
Is there rust in what you have? Is a new quarter available?
I think you might find moving the gas filler tube to be a bit more than expected. I would think you would need some flat surface on which to mount it. Have you seen it done before?
C

-
Back