In search of ideas for a 225 /6 refresh....

-

kiwigtx

Big Dummy
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My buddy Cliff is looking to upgrade a few things in the 66 Valiant this year. The timing is wildly off track at times - idle and wide-open throttle....quite unpredictable at times....mainly due to a very loose timing chain and worn out timing gears. Also the heads need a freshen up. So he is looking to do a head job, valve seats and maybe springs. Not sure if he needs a cam at all...but he is happy to take experienced advice.

Need the following ideas as to where to source the following;
1. Double roller timing chain & gears
2. Head gasket set/full gasket set
3. Valve springs & guides
4. Cam & lifters
5. Air cleaner with snorkel

Any links to where these can be bought would be great.
Thanks,
Roger

upload_2018-3-24_22-11-57.png

Add a little compression. Rv10 cam i hear is super with stock lazy gears and converter. Probably dutra duals. Or atleast a 2.25 exhaust on stock mani.

Where are you from?...that looks aussie..

Thats a good driver setup. Im sure others will have some ideas.

Add a little compression. Rv10 cam i hear is super with stock lazy gears and converter. Probably dutra duals. Or atleast a 2.25 exhaust on stock mani.

Where are you from?...that looks aussie..

Thats a good driver setup. Im sure others will have some ideas.
We are in New Zealand...car is an Australian model.

The timing gears are apparently the pre 1970 type which were designed to be loose new....but they are soooo loose now it's not funny.

We are in New Zealand...car is an Australian model.

The timing gears are apparently the pre 1970 type which were designed to be loose new....but they are soooo loose now it's not funny.

Not sure where you would order stuff from there. Gm hei conversion is also a good idea if not done. Good hot spark.

If you want the hassel. A small 2 barrrel carb also. With a stick its easier as you dont need the kickdown stuff.

My buddy Cliff is looking to upgrade a few things in the 66 Valiant this year. The timing is wildly off track at times - idle and wide-open throttle....quite unpredictable at times....mainly due to a very loose timing chain and worn out timing gears.

Well, that would be an obvious place to start. Probably a good idea to check the rest of the engine for wear, too. A leakdown test is best, but a compression test is better than nothing.

Also the heads need a freshen up.

You say "heads" (plural) but I don't see V8 badges on the side of the car. What's this car got, a 273 V8 or a 225 Slant-6? Or something else?

Not sure if he needs a cam at all...but he is happy to take experienced advice.

Stock camshafts are very durable; it's unusual to find one worn out until the engine has a whole lot of hours, miles, or KMs on it unless something bad happens (run out of oil, etc). Whether an upgraded camshaft is a cost-effective upgrade depends on what kind of driving is going to be done with this car.

You're likely going to be doing most of your shopping out of the Land of the Long Weekend. Pentastar Parts is a reliable source. Hemi Performance has a big catalogue but a poor reputation.

Air cleaner with snorkel

Why?

The timing gears are apparently the pre 1970 type which were designed to be loose new

Whoever told you this is full of poo. Pre-1970 timing gears and chains are not designed to be loose when new. Neither are post-1970 items.

Other upgrades worth doing: Fuel line mod (with Slant-6 engine), HEI upgrade (with Slant-6 or V8 engine).

If the car has the Slant-6, swapping in a 2-barrel setup from a VE or VF Valiant will make a significant improvement in response and driveability. Everything you need is available on the used-parts market down there with some patience.

See tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this post.

You say "heads" (plural) but I don't see V8 badges on the side of the car. What's this car got, a 273 V8 or a 225 Slant-6? Or something else?
Slip of the finger there ....running a 225 /6

I originally bought a Cloyes timing chain set for my 225 but after installing it the excess slack in the chain was staggering. I was going to piece together a roller chain and individual sprockets from NAPA but eventually found a Rollmaster.
Wow! Double roller with nice sprockets and the crank is keyed in 2 degree increments. I believe it is actually made in Australia and the PN is CS5302 but I'd have to check my build thread to verify. I think I paid just over 100 US dollars and worth it.
Should be easy for you to source down there.

-
Back