Inching forward

-

9teen7tSwinger

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster with a 340 and a 6 pack set up. I am having issues stopping. Well not stopping per se, but staying stopped. Initially there is good brake pressure and the pedal feel is okay/firm. After driving for a while it will begin to want to inch forward and the pedal feel is hard. What are we looking at for possible issues. Not sure if it is a master cylinder issue or pressure issue or what it is. What can I check first? Also disk in the front and drums in the rear.

Hard pedal is a sign of a bad booster. If the master was the problem the pedal would be normal/soft and slowly (or quickly if it's really bad) sink to the floor.

You can have your booster tested.

Could be as simple as a bad check valve on the booster.

If the pedal just gets harder at idle & does not sink to the floor it is a booster issue.

How much manifold vacuum do you have when stopped?

B.

If you have a lopey cam, you may have insufficient vacuum to operate with power brakes. I am dealing with a similar situation with the Charger. It annoyed me so much, I removed the power booster and tried several manual brake master cylinders. I could never get the right pedal feel, so I went back to the booster. I plan to add a vacuum can to supplement the vacuum. Some guys have suggested using a vacuum pump, but the storage tank is far simpler and cheaper. I'm going to mount mine in the wheelwell behind the LH headlights. PLENTY of dead space in there.

I am not sure about manifold vacuum, but I do have a vacuum can already installed. So there is a line from the booster to the can and back to the manifold area.

-
Back