Inflation

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I was going some of my old models and in the box I found the original recipe from when I bought it in 2001. 18 years ago. I purchased 6 items
A model car
A testers paint set
Red vines
A can of spray paint
Model car glue
And a box of shotgun shells
Total cost= $19.64
So out of curiosity me and my wife went to Walmart's website and priced the exact same 6 items.
2018s cost= $59.32!
How crazy is that? That is a 300% increase!

20190602_083658.jpg

20190602_083709.jpg

Crazy indeed. The formula the government uses to calculate inflation is a weird mess that does not include a lot of stuff we want / need to spend our money on.

Yeppers! Try getting paid three times as much as you did in 2001 tho. :mob:

BTW, Car still looks good. :lol:

Yeppers! Try getting paid three times as much as you did in 2001 tho. :mob:

BTW, Car still looks good. :lol:
Yea that's the problem most people in the middle class still make close to the same as they did 20 years ago but stuff cost 3 times as much.

The shotgun shells are only about $2/box. Must be the Red Vines

I don't think that the price increase is all due to inflation. There are a lot less people buying plastic kits today.. the manufacturers have to charge more per model to make any profit. I remember when I was a kid you could get models at the grocery stores, hardware stores, pharmacies, even a few gas stations. Kids just don't spend the time on these anymore. Video games.. and the die cast premade cars went a long way to kill the industry. I have a pretty good stash built up for someday, so I'm pretty picky at buying anything. I do score at goodwill once in awhile though.

Inflation.
Try being a senior on a very limted fixed income. I am thinking of going SOUTH over the border and coming back in as an illegal!
I am trying to remember the thing about in economics where it says inflation in some amount is necessary for a healthy economy, but I have to think it has nothing to do with me!

I don't think that the price increase is all due to inflation. There are a lot less people buying plastic kits today.. the manufacturers have to charge more per model to make any profit. I remember when I was a kid you could get models at the grocery stores, hardware stores, pharmacies, even a few gas stations. Kids just don't spend the time on these anymore. Video games.. and the die cast premade cars went a long way to kill the industry. I have a pretty good stash built up for someday, so I'm pretty picky at buying anything. I do score at goodwill once in awhile though.
Yea that's a good point!! I have probably close to a dozen that I have never built/finished including about 6 tubes of the old red testers glue! That stuff is illegal now lol

that's why I retired a couple years ago. I hadn't had a real raise in over 15 years. Everytime we got a (small)raise, it coincidentally was exactly offset with increases in my medical insurance. Meanwhile, food, rent, gas , utilities kept going up at a constant rate. My buying power became just a fraction of what it used to be. After complaining directly to the governor(Inslee) for several years, I just said screw it. The State of Washington legislators were basically balancing their budget on the backs of their worker bees. Meanwhile, they never missed an opportunity to boost their own pay by double digit percentages.

Here is the breakdown of the cost increase.
The model car- $25.97
Red vines- $1.94
Testers paint set $12.97
Krylon spray paint $3.97
Federal game load $6.17
Testers glue $5.97

20190602_083658.jpg

Here is the breakdown of the cost increase.
The model car- $25.97
Red vines- $1.94
Testers paint set $12.97
Krylon spray paint $3.97
Federal game load $6.17
Testers glue $5.97

View attachment 1715346790
Be nice to see the percentage increase, just because I know you have nothing else to do, lol. Looks to me like the model has the biggest increase though, which reinforces my point.

Be nice to see the percentage increase, just because I know you have nothing else to do, lol. Looks to me like the model has the biggest increase though, which reinforces my point.
The total percentage is like 300%

-
Back