info on the early 8 3/4 pumpkin

-

VDART

Reaction score
can anyone tell me why the early 657 center section is taboo? I have a good gear ratio 3.54 NON- SUREGRIP--(ebay guy got 150 for his same unit) I thought the early style was the same a s the 741 case? is that not true, thanks Lawrence

I also have a 657 from a 58 1/2 ton truck. I think my ring gear is stamped 3.58.Hard to tell as stamping ain't that great,,close enough for me.They have the small pinion bearing like the 741. I'm sure you can break anything if you throw enough horse power at it. I plan on using mine in my street car.

will this 657 rear -- drop right in to a newer 65-up unit with out any problems? thanks

Same unit as the 741, 657 was a superceded part number. It will drop into any 8 3/4" housing!! They did have a couple goofy ratios not currently offered though, I had a 3:31 in my 64 Belvedere. Swapped just the center section into a 65 and later housing and put it back in to eliminate the keywayed drums!! Geof

Lawrence 741 units don't sell great either. Seems everyone thinks their junk when in reality their pretty dang tough. Just look at the pinion shaft diameter of the 741 case vs. a Ford 9". That's right, the 741 is larger. The only reason the 9" is any good at all is they added a 3rd pinion support bearing. Were it not for that it'd be junk.

Have you listed your 3rd member on any other board than this one? How about craigslist or Racingjunk?

If it wasn't the same price to ship as you want for the item, I'd have taken it.

People are IGNORANT/STUPID/MISINFORMED/read to many BS articles when it comes to 741 strength. It's the one pinion that DOES NOT have a huge stress riser in it! I've never broken a 741 pinion. I've busted 742 and 489 rears right where the stress riser is located, yoke still attached to the DS and broken clean off.

JMO.

Lawrence, I am not aware of any differences in the thrust button between the 657 and later cases. If you do indeed find any difference, I would assume that it is related to the different configuration of the keywayed axles, although I didn't encounter it when swapping my center. Mine was not a SG unit however, but I can't see how the button could differ between an SG case and non-SG. The thrust button is there to set the axle endplay adjustment, a procedure required in both SG and non-SG units running the stock tapered bearings.

Maybe fishy68 will chime in here for some clarification on this, he always has a good answer regarding 8 3/4" units!! Geof

Guys, thanks for the info-- I know these small pinion units are not the most popular I have some interest-- I just do not want any problems with this not sliding right in & working.

my friend ran a 741 for years in a 65 dart (12.30 fastest time)-- never had a rear end problem.
Lawrence

You know Lawrence, the price of any unit is reflected by the SG unit, and because it is a 657 unit shouldn't have any adverse effect on the value, especially if it is a PowerLok SG unit!!JMO of course, Geof

-
Back