Infrared Garage Heater

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Hearing pro's and cons to these.

I just moved into a new house with a 24 x 29 garage that has 10ft ceilings in it.

I need to have a gas line run out but not sure if I am going with forced air or Infrared.

Forced, I tried wood stoves, not enough, the torpedo/kerosene are too loud.got a a/c guy to repair the central AC/Heat pump out at the shop. Life is so better.

Reznor forced-air gas funaces are made for buildings like yours. Good units, keep them CLEAN.

I just bought a "Big Maxx" similar to the Reznor. Propane style. When I can afford to have the ng run to the garage all I do is put the ng kit in for around $100. the big maxx was around $500 taxes in. Get a 60k btu. Go with the forced air for sure, radiant just wont cut it. Radiant is designed to heat the object that is close to it as opposed to the air.

My garage is 32 X 24 and I went with the Reznor VR, radiant tube heater. It is 20 feet long so I put it along the backwall and hung it from the ceiling.

It heats the objects not the air so when you open and close the garage it is less likely to kick on.

https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-vr.html

I had infrared heat in my shop and absolutely hated it. If I was spending all day in the shop it was OK but it took 2 hrs to get things warm from a cold start. If I was doing something that didn't take as long it was wasted time and money to even turn the damn thing on.

Infared is great as long as your standing directly under the unit. Forced air will heat the garage quicker and will be more comfortable.

I am not in Alberta but here is what I have. A 20000 btu electric 220 heater from Northern Tools, it has a thermostat in it and it only kicks on after the coils are hot. If its 20 degrees in Virginia I wait about one hour and its about 60 degrees in there. not to bad on teh electric bill either but I only run it Dec15th to Mar1.

I like it and it does the job good I have a 30x30 garage. instullated.

SDC10614.JPG

I'm in Edmonton and installed a Modine Hot Dawg NG heater in my 26x24x11 a couple of years ago. It works great. I think I got it from Kehoe Equipment.

I like the infared heaters the shop dad worked at had the tube heaters and if they are on all the time they are great but if you are gonna use them only when you are in the garage they do take a while th heat things up. On the plus side they heat the concrete instead of the air so if you are laying on the floor its the same temp as your tools Ive also heard that the infared heaters are more efficent just my opinion and word of mouth.

The warm floors was the nice thought, my last garage had a 45000BTU Beacon Morris forced air with drafty old doors.

Warmed up ok but the floor was freezeing.

Thinking I might stayed forced air but just go oversized if I do. Need to see what the cost of pushing the gas line out there is.

Back in the late 80's - early 90's the shop I worked in was 50' x 50'. Propane infrared heaters - one long tube on each side of the shop. Worked way better than the furnace he replaced. The tools and floor were always warm in the winter. When opening and closing bay doors you don't loose as much heat. And the best part was no more water puddles on the floor. The water evaporated faster. I say go for it.

WYlde1.

I am not in Alberta but here is what I have. A 20000 btu electric 220 heater from Northern Tools, it has a thermostat in it and it only kicks on after the coils are hot. If its 20 degrees in Virginia I wait about one hour and its about 60 degrees in there. not to bad on teh electric bill either but I only run it Dec15th to Mar1.

I like it and it does the job good I have a 30x30 garage. instullated.
What did that heater run ya?

-
Back