initial timing

-

JimmyV

MOPAR!!
Reaction score
ok.,... 360 eddy heads kb 10.5:1 pistons comp 294s cam 294 duration 525 lift 3000 stall victor intake double pumper carb what is a good initial timing setup for that running 15 degrees right now and runs great is it oing to hurt to take it higher and see how she runs out my total is about 28ish i think at 2500 new to the timing world on hipo engines any ways..give me some tips and ideahs fellas

What's it max out for total timing? You need to find the point it stops advancing and at what RPM.

I'd set it in the 20-22 range, maybe more, 34-36 total. As long as it starts without kicking back, you should be OK staying within the total timing number. May require some work in the mechanical advance.

What's it max out for total timing? You need to find the point it stops advancing and at what RPM.

I'd set it in the 20-22 range, maybe more, 34-36 total. As long as it starts without kicking back, you should be OK staying within the total timing number. May require some work in the mechanical advance.

ok i will tinker with that this weekend looks like my dizzy came with 2 blue springs and maybe slivers extra and a black and small silver bushing.. dunno what is in them from the factory.. but i will start figureing out my total and intial and go from there so just have some body increase rpms and adjust the nob on my light keeping the light at zero till it doesnt go up any more? and see what its at so im guesing what i am trying to do set my intial then install the correct spring and bushing configuration to get my total timing at 34-36 buy 2500-3000 rpm??? so if i set my initial at 20 and want 34 for total how do i know what bushing i need lost all the paperwork to my dizzy like a dumb a but i assume i need a bushing that has 14 of advance to it to get 34??

ok i will tinker with that this weekend looks like my dizzy came with 2 blue springs and maybe slivers extra and a black and small silver bushing.. dunno what is in them from the factory.. but i will start figureing out my total and intial and go from there so just have some body increase rpms and adjust the nob on my light keeping the light at zero till it doesnt go up any more? and see what its at so im guesing what i am trying to do set my intial then install the correct spring and bushing configuration to get my total timing at 34-36 buy 2500-3000 rpm??? so if i set my initial at 20 and want 34 for total how do i know what bushing i need lost all the paperwork to my dizzy like a dumb a but i assume i need a bushing that has 14 of advance to it to get 34??

Set initial first, then worry about getting total in where you need it. You'll have to adjust your carb as well, it will clean up a bunch with more initial.

Sounds like an MSD distributor. I made my own 12* bushing using a nut and turning it against a grinding wheel. Go to the MSD site and look up the instructions for just about any pro-billet distributor. The black bushing is 18* IIRC and it's too small for your combo, IMO. You need a bigger bushing, IIRC, it was about .385-.400 Diameter.

I have a 340 with a 528 mechanical cam in it. Initial is set at 22* and total is 34*. It runs a heck of a lot better now than when it had 14-16 initial.

-
Back