inner fender fit issues

-

Fstforward

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I'm perplexed. I have 2 replacement inner fenders for my 64 barracuda. each has their own issues, neither is perfect. Inner fender "A" had slight damage @ the top, and major surface rust, that, after blasting, left the bottom, where it welds to the upper part of the frame rail rather thin. There are a couple of other area that are on the thinner side.

Inner fender "B" has a few minor issues, much better condition than "A", but the hole for the shock access is dinged up and, while I've straightened it as much as possible(body hammers and dollies), it doesn't look perfect.

The main issue I am having is neither seems to fit worth a crap. A fits much better than B. in trying to get everything square, something wasn't adding up, so it seemed.

I was cross measuring from the firewall corner to the opposite side rad support corner.

well, there are alignment holes at the tops of the inner fenders where it meets the tab on the firewall and the rad support. I measured these, and on "A", it is about 1/2 inch shorter, center of alignment hole to center of othe alignment hole, than it is on "B". A also seems to be about 3/8 of an inch shorter in overall length than "B", also.

Also, "B", where the welds were drilled out for the upper shock mount welds, barely even is over the uppermost edge of he shock mount. The third hole(center) will not be welded on anything, at this point. A has the back and front holes at least flush on the shock mount, and the third(middle) is just off the edge of the mount.

LAstly, when "B" is mocked up, it barely, if at all, covers the inner frame rail area just below the UCA mounts...."A" fits fair in that spot!

This size differential, did someone send me the wrong inner fender? it isn't that much different, but just enuf to thro things out of whack.

Suggestions?

thanks

FF

No pics, yet, had a busy day away from here. When I got back, though, I sat down with both replacement inner fenders and a tape measure, and a large flat area.

I think I found the problem with inner fender "b", the one that is in better condition but lousy fit. It appears that the angles on the inner fender differ greatly from the other one, the one that is crappier(tech term) but fits better. Especially, the angle at which the top lip(where the fender bolts on) is in relation to the rest of the fender, it isn't off by much, but it's off and that can throw the whole thing out of whack. It appears to me that the whole thing has been sorta crushed flatter, maybe in shipping, who knows. Now, I have to sit down and try to get it back in some semblance of shape, without ruining it.

I even lay them on top of each other, and there, the difference was immediately apparent.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

FF

Ok. been a little while, but I have massaged the better of the inner fenders into shape where fit will no longer be an issue. I had it in place today, virtually all weld surface(except outer upper shock mount weld) completely in place.

Now, my next conundrum.....the hole in the inner fender that gives access to the upper shock mount, one the better fender, is hopelessly out of shape. it was completely bent all to hell when I got it, and I have tapped and hammered(hammer and body dolly) it into rough shape, but it's nowhere near acceptable. I can install the inner fender, as is, and putty the hell out of the hole, and sand, and putty and sand, until it's acceptable.

Or, the other inner fender I have, while frightfully thin in areas, is nice and strong, no rust,, in that same area. Should I attemt to cut out the bad one from the good inner fender, and patch the good hole in from the lousy fender???? Never done that before(ok welder). Or should I just go the putty route???

the gray inner fender in the pics is the better overall one, with the bad "hole", the darker one is the poorer fender, with good hole.

Thanks in advance

FF

Attachments

• DSC02195.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02196.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC02197.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02200.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC02198.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC02199.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 124
Sometimes, I love when I answer my own questions. I remembered watchign a show where they had stretched metal, and they heated it up real hot and hit it with an ice cold rag. I went out, got the ol propane torch, heated the crap out of an area, nailed it with a rag just out of ice water, did this to the whole area, a bit at a time,. Then, massaged it a bit more with the body hammers and dollies, a little primer, and viola, it will still take a skim coat of mud, but just a very fine coat.......here are the after pics....keep in mind, there has been no putty used on this yet......the last pic is the "before"

Attachments

• DSC02201.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02202.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02197.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 98
-
Back