Inner quarter panel coating removal?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Do you guys have any tricks for getting this crud off?

I've used a torch and a scraper as well as a composite abrasive wheel with varying amounts of success. Just wondering if there is a quicker way to tackle this job? Seems to be taking about 100x longer than I expected it would.

By far the best way to remove old under body coating.

This post came up a few weeks ago, give it a look see try it, I would like to know if it really works....

Well I saw that thread also, tried it . I had to get the thick spots of under coat off with an air hammer and chisel and putty knife, scraper.
Have to be careful with the air chisel not to ding up any sheet metal. Then used the oven cleaner a second time and got most of it off.
Sure does make the metal purdy. LOL

Thanks I'll have to try a variation of that. The coating I'm talking about is on the inner quarters inside the trunk so I can't use a pressure washer but maybe I can use over cleaner and a scraper. It's not the built up coating that's giving me the most fits. It's the thinner gunk it leaves behind on the metal that's almost like a really sticky black RTV at this point. It's tough to scrape off and a wire wheel just kind of moves it around.

Thanks I'll have to try a variation of that. The coating I'm talking about is on the inner quarters inside the trunk so I can't use a pressure washer but maybe I can use over cleaner and a scraper. It's not the built up coating that's giving me the most fits. It's the thinner gunk it leaves behind on the metal that's almost like a really sticky black RTV at this point. It's tough to scrape off and a wire wheel just kind of moves it around.

The oven cleaner works well on the thin stuff, put it on , let sit over night , spray off with hose. Mine was up on jack stands in my garage, when I rinsed off I had my wife sweep the water out the door.

I can use over cleaner and a scraper.

Just be cautious about breathing some of that stuff.

Have you tried mineral spirits? Maybe a rag and soak it pretty good and wipe on it, I can picture exactly what you're trying to get off.

WD40 spray on, let it soak for a few days, then use a scraper. Remove the rest w lacquer thinner and a paper towel.

Thanks guys I'll try Easy Off, Mineral spirits and WD40 this weekend and see if I can make any more head way on it. At least I have some other options now.

-
Back