Input on Cummins build

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so a few weeks back I lost oil pressure on my 02 5.9 cummins and blew the turbo and spun at least one rod bearing (I think) so the truck is sitting right now till I get the money saved up to get the engine rebuilt this winter. The engine was rebuilt last summer and only had about 10-15k miles on the rebuild but I know the guy who owned the truck b4 me and I know he probably didn't spend any more money than needed (for instance, the bores we're about at the limit as far as out of round but he didn't get it bored) so Idk if the factory oil pump started acting up or what the deal was.

Anyway, the truck had pretty good low end grunt but the one time I was putting a skidloader up a hill and got over 2000-2200rpm it started running out of power. The truck has 316k miles on it and the trans was rebuilt at 200k and has an aftermarket converter with a manual lock up switch and Idk what all else was done to the trans. The engine has a cold air intake, 75hp injectors and a bullydog box that is suppose to add 50hp I think. Anyway, if I'm getting this engine rebuilt I wanna do it right the first time and be done with it. I'm gonna get a smarty touch system with the LCD so I can monitor everything on the engine and trans so if something goes out I know instantly and hopefully catch it b4 blowing it up.

Now for my goal, I don't want anything crazy from the engine, no 600hp or anything like that, what I'd really like to have is 300-400 RWHP which from what I've read would probably give me about 600-700 lb-ft of torque. This truck was/will be my daily driver and I still wanna get good mpg but have more pulling power when I need it. So, will the smarty, 75hp injectors, cai, and 4" exhaust get me to 300+ rwhp? Suggestions welcome!

I might post this over on for trucks only as well

Thanks

The easiest diesel engine ever to rebuild 3or4wrenches and 2 or 3 sockets is all you need . if you never took an injection pump off before you should read how to .you need to line up the marks push the button in and lock the pump or you will never get it in time again .

Can alway go bigger turbo, while your rebuilding it put head studs in. It's a bummer the 6.7L don't cross over to the 5.9 trans, you can have your goals in just a high output 6.7L swap

Yea a 6.7 swap would be awesome!! But for now I'll stick with a mild 5.9:)

I just talked to my uncle today, he owned the truck b4 the guy I bought it from and has had quite a few cummins and built a pulling truck that he ran for 2 years, he said the smarty and the 75hp injectors should get me to or a little over 300 rwhp and since I'm either gonna have to rebuild one of my 2 stock turbos or buy another I may as well buy one that's a little bigger to get me more power when I need it and keep my exhaust cooler as well.

Don't forget the Transmission also...notoriously weak in Ram Trucks. I blew up the 47 RE in my 01 just pulling a 30 foot 10,000 lb trailer. Your 02 may have the 48 Re but it's not a lot stronger. After rereading op I see trans has had some work already...just make sure it's fresh.

-
Back