Input on this 83 Ram 1500

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im contemplating buying this truck, I havent gone to look at it yet as its a 4 hour drive. Check the link out and lemme know what you think. Im phoning the seller now to get more info. I want to get something that I can at least do the work on if something fails. I dont have the $$ to pay someone $120/hr to work on my truck and my 01 F150 wont last forever, also the Ford has been a great truck but its 4dr and no need for it anymore...

Dont hold back

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...odge-Ram-1500-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ511424004

Thanks
4spdragtop

Can't get the link to open. More info on the truck.

It's not a 1500 if it's an 83. Its a D150.

Price is a little high, once I go look I will have a better idea. Vehicles here in Saskatchewan dont rust like they do back home in Ontario, plus if its plated there is no "safety/certification" needed. To me that is worth something. Plus if I am here for any length of time, my truck being an out of province truck will need to be safetied to get Saskatchewan plates. My Ford has an exhaust leak at the manifolds(big surprise) and could use upper ball joints...both jobs I DONT WANT TO DO!!

364 barrel? Maybe 360 4 barrel? I don't know. That's a bit of miles, though not much for the age, and the motor is more than capable enough to still be strong. RWD lowers the value a bit. Still not a bad deal. It looks good. If you like it, I'd say buy it.

364 barrel? Maybe 360 4 barrel? I don't know. That's a bit of miles, though not much for the age, and the motor is more than capable enough to still be strong. RWD lowers the value a bit. Still not a bad deal. It looks good. If you like it, I'd say buy it.

Thanks Mopar to ya!
I just got off the phone with him and his daughter did up the ad. It is a 360 4bbl, he is the 3rd owner and has owned it for 2 years. No rot, it is solid. Orig paint and body as far as he knows. A/c works good. He is going to get me more pics. The 2wd is a plus for me as I think it would be better on fuel. Interior is all in nice shape, it needs a headliner and maybe some rear tires. He isnt sure on the mileage as he only owned it for 2 years and only drove it 2-3 miles to work. No leaks runs good.....

He also isnt sure if its an 83 or 84.
Anyone aware of any known issues with these trucks? Im not that familiar with them...

I had an 85 1/2 ton at one time, but it was a /6 auto. Great truck! The slant lost compression, and I scrapped it. Sure wish I had just swapped the slant. The only rot issues I noticed were the bottoms of the front fenders and wheel lips. Oh and the rear rims rusted to the drums so I couldn't get them off.

There pretty dependable trucks if maintained right ,I've had 3 80,s 4wd and
2 early 90,s 2wd got up pretty close to 20mpg out of the 2 wd one but they were both tbi engines that one looks Damn nice for its age if he,d drop to say 15 or lower I,d say jump on it

I had an 85 1/2 ton at one time, but it was a /6 auto. Great truck! The slant lost compression, and I scrapped it. Sure wish I had just swapped the slant. The only rot issues I noticed were the bottoms of the front fenders and wheel lips. Oh and the rear rims rusted to the drums so I couldn't get them off.

Thanks Mike, I was hoping this had a 318 or /6....

There pretty dependable trucks if maintained right ,I've had 3 80,s 4wd and
2 early 90,s 2wd got up pretty close to 20mpg out of the 2 wd one but they were both tbi engines that one looks Damn nice for its age if he,d drop to say 15 or lower I,d say jump on it

Thanks dodgeboy, Im looking for reliability and being able to repair as much myself as I can. With my 01 F150 Im limited to what I can do.
I wonder if a swap to a 2bbl intake and carb would help the mileage??

I can say right now that 8-10 around town is complete bullshit unless your carb sucks and has never been tuned. my truck is pretty much the same truck essentially. I get 14-16 around town with my warmed up 318 with the Holley if I keep my foot out of it.

And $1800 seems pretty good for a truck in that shape in your neck of the woods. Most common issue I'd say is floorpan, doorbottom, and fender bottom rot as far as body goes. Engine? Just as reliable as any old LA, pretty damn good if its taken care of. The only thing I ever saw wrong with these trucks when they came into the junkyard I worked at was the transmission was shot on every one of 'em, so be sure to check the 727/904 and see if its fluid smells healthy. A common interior problem I know of is floppy steering columns on the ones with tilt columns, but that's a pretty easy fix. Just like all old cars, check the suspension out because these trucks have a way with the bits going bad.

Oh and I have been looking high and low for that exact steering wheel for my truck.

How soon can you drive it back to Ontario? I'd love to have it! Man it looks clean!

Thanks everyone I will be getting in touch with the seller about it today and set up a time to check it out.

Pretty solid looking truck. I have owned a few of these ol Dodges over the years and love them.. I''m sure the transmission will slip when you first start it in the morning but just start it in neutral and it will never be a problem. 360 will be a gas hawg... Rear end will probably " clunk" when put into gear , again not a serious problem.. I would also expect some of the plastic trim on the inside to be cracked especially the piece above the windshield... Map light will probably be broken and hanging down with or without the " fix" done to it. Should be reliable transportation just don't expect much power or good MPG...

Also check the frame at the steering gear for cracks and the steering coupler before the gear for wear/slop...

-
Back