Input shaft advice?

-

glenn340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Disassembled my a833 to see what it needs before I order my rebuild kit. 1 - 3 gears look good except 4th is questionable. Trans is out of a 1969 GTS 340. This is my first rebuild, so I don't know if this wear is acceptable or do I need to replace? Hoping someone with more experience can let me know. Thanks.

Input Shaft 017.jpg

Input Shaft 018.jpg

Input Shaft 019.jpg

Input Shaft 020.jpg

I would run it. As far as 4th gear Synchro issues I would say forth gears usually nothing that I'd bang unless I'm racing or something more so use third to get the speed and nice easy shift into 4th?
I rebuilt mine couple years ago (for the first time) and put the $99 rebuild kit in it, new synchros, steel shift forks (had brass), new 1-2 and 3-4 shift leavers coming out of side cover and two new ears to connect to them on the outside. That's a connection that quite often gets overlooked and if you want to tighten that up no time like the present.

I would run it. As far as 4th gear Synchro issues I would say forth gears usually nothing that I'd bang unless I'm racing or something more so use third to get the speed and nice easy shift into 4th?
I rebuilt mine couple years ago (for the first time) and put the $99 rebuild kit in it, new synchros, steel shift forks (had brass), new 1-2 and 3-4 shift leavers coming out of side cover and two new ears to connect to them on the outside. That's a connection that quite often gets overlooked and if you want to tighten that up no time like the present.
Thanks for the advice. Was going to take this to a shop until reading all the posts that it is not that complicated to rebuild. This is a recent purchase and did not get to drive it to see how the trans shifted. I decided to not risk it and I'll buy a new input shaft from Brewers. Might save me pulling the trans out again to do this anyways. Also adding new synchros, steel shift forks and 1-2 shift lever and ear. 3-4 was tight still.

You'll find that I'm not a very good cyber spender but when I do I say go for it. Of course my initial was to suggest running the gear you have but if you were to change the gear I would be more apt to tell you to change all the gears. Reason being is cuz now you'll have a new gear or a used gear that is in better condition against the same used gear that the old one war itself to? I think for my own personal transmission if I trade one gear I'm going to do them all. Unless I was in a budget pinch and trying to get my car going to get to work. I'm sure there's plenty of people who can come on here and tell you how they put old gears with new gears and these gears with those gears but it just doesn't sound good in my head. I have no experience at all switching different gears. my two cents...

Thanks for the advice. Was going to take this to a shop until reading all the posts that it is not that complicated to rebuild. This is a recent purchase and did not get to drive it to see how the trans shifted. I decided to not risk it and I'll buy a new input shaft from Brewers. Might save me pulling the trans out again to do this anyways. Also adding new synchros, steel shift forks and 1-2 shift lever and ear. 3-4 was tight still.

-
Back