Install valve cover gasket dry or with a light coat of oil?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys after getting my intake back on im doing the valve cover gaskets. I applied #2 to the valve cover and have the gasket stuck down, do you guys leave the gasket dry to the head or apply a thin swipe of oil?

Dry. The point of a gasket is to not get oil on it.

I just wanted to make sure, i usually oil o rings but was just verifying. Does the little lettering on the gasket matter if its up or down?

Gaskets only fit one way

Gaskets only fit one way

on the valve covers? I thought either gasket out of the pair would work on either one, the gasket i put on the first valve cover lined up perfectly. The mahle ones i got can go on with the lettering facing the valve cover or the head

Mr Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets installed dry on both cast and stamped valve covers. No leaks with my gold Moroso aluminum covers. Haven’t destroyed the gaskets when pulling the covers for lash inspection. I like gently tapping the covers on the rails “side to side” first to make double sure there’s no sticking vs. just pulling up.

Cork has worked okay for me if I went old school aircraft mechanic and painted both sides with Indian Head gasket shellac.

-
Back