Installation of TTI headers advice request

-

RDJ

Reaction score
408 SB in 67 Barracuda. I got the engine broken in with the stock manifolds and now I am going to install my TTI headers. Is there any way to get these in without pulling the engine? Will I need to pull the steering column or steering box? (power steering) Any hints or advice is appreciated. This is the first time I will be installing headers on a vehicle. Hopefully I can learn by the trials and tribulations of others on this site.

Also, I retorqued the heads when I pulled the stock exhaust manifolds. Is that OK since the engine has been cool for over 24 hours? Thanks!

do you still have stock manifolds? i'll be doing the same as you so i'll be watching to see what people say.

do you still have stock manifolds? i'll be doing the same as you so i'll be watching to see what people say.

Yes, the passenger side exhaust manifold is off, the driver side is still on, but unbolted so I could get to the head bolts easily. It will be coming off tomorrow and the headers are going on.

BTW, I put studs for the ends of the exhaust manifolds, and will use bolts for the other mounting holes. Is this pretty standard?

pull the idler arm and pitman arm off or disconnect the centerlink and jack up as high as you can . dont for get jack stands (SAFETY). i like to wrap mine in thin construction paper to avoid scratches .

their instructions for installation are good, read them a couple times prior to starting. Just need to get the car high off the ground since the headers go in from the bottom. Make sure the engine is in the correct spot in the frame prior to staring per instructions.

No studs just header bolts using sealant on end bolts.

Have fun its not to bad.

While not all encompassing, this is what I went through with my 4 spd. small block with a Lakewood scatter shield. If I did it again, I would use a Quick Time Engineering bell housing....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=65442

BTW: In the tool bar on this page there is a SEARCH button. We've been doing this site for about 6 years now. Unless it came out yesterday, someone has experienced doing it already. There's a TON of TTI information in the EXHAUST section of the forums. And yes, they can be a ***** to install......

they are a pretty straightforward install just install them the way the instructions say and they will go in fairly easy if you have the car on high enough jackstands, i like the idea about the studs but i think they are not the way to go for headerinsalations, i would use the bolts since there isnt alot of space to move the pipes around :) and one friendly advice, when the instructions says tilt the engine just do it, they just wont fit in if you only lift the engine until transmission hit the tunnel,dont ask me how i know ;)
they are a fairly easy install compared to some of the alternative brands

and no reason to move stearingbox or column they slip right in with them still in place :)

-
Back