Installed msd ignition box and dizzy. Now wires under dash try to get hot

-
Ok. Made a little progress. I bypassed the factory gauge by connecting the two wire straight together and running a charge wire from alternator to the big post on the starter relay. Start car. Still over charging. When reved up it jumps to about 19. Going to pick up voltage regulator tomar morning.

Ok. Made a little progress. I bypassed the factory gauge by connecting the two wire straight together and running a charge wire from alternator to the big post on the starter relay. Start car. Still over charging. When reved up it jumps to about 19. Going to pick up voltage regulator tomar morning.
First try removing the voltage regulator and making sure it has a nice shiny metal to shiny metal contact to the body. Resistance on the ‘ground side’ of the circuit can cause just as much trouble as resistance on the positive side. Next wait for some of the electrical experts to respond. There are ways to measure the resistance in the voltage regulator circuit with the volt ohm meter you already have.

It's possible it's the voltage regulator, but it could also be the alternator.
It's best to do some simple tests vs just replacing parts. You can check voltage at the field terminals, and also check continuity through the field/rotor.
If you've got an alternator issue, you're gonna burn up the replacement voltage reg in a hurry.

Removed regulator and put back on. Ran a ground from battery. Still over charging.

Got the new regulator. Charging ant 14.3 at a height idle. 13.6 at the battery. I really appreciate the people on this sight. Thanks everyone. Now just reassemble the dash and get it on a trailer. New wheels and tires on Tuesday

-
Back