Installing 8.73" rear end.

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 Rear end, that is disassembled right now. what do I need to do in order to assemble it? I've never really worked with a rear end before.

I have all the separtate parts:
the housing
pumpkin (3.23 sure-grip)
two axles with green bearings already installed
11" drum brakes

so far, the only gasket that I have is the one that seals the axle housing to the pumpkin. are there other gaskets/seals that I will need?

Could somebody guide me through step-by-step what I will need to do? and in what order..much appreciated!!

Hi,

I'm in no means an expert and it's likely others will have more information. I'll let you know how mine went...

First you have gone to greens like I did so you have to remove the thrust button/block from the sure grip. If you dont there is a possibility of ruining the greens.

Second I would recommend that you install inner end seals. The greens are suppose to prevent leakage as they are sealed but I installed them anyways as insurance preventing any possibility of leakage.

You will need housing end gaskets between the ends and the backing plates. Also another gasket which is more sponge like between the snap-ring retaining plate and the backing plate when the axle is installed. Of course the pumpkin must be bolted onto the housing before installing the axles.

Then of course assembling the brakes.

Now, What I did I assembled the entire rear off the car... If I was to do it again, I would most likely install the axle tube onto the springs on the car before installing the pumpkin, axles and brakes.

Hope this helps

didnt realize until now that i misnamed the title..obviously people realize that I meant 8.75" rear..thanks for the replies..

First you have gone to greens like I did so you have to remove the thrust button/block from the sure grip. If you dont there is a possibility of ruining the greens.

whats the process of removing the thrust button/block??

randys ring and pinion had a book a while back thats pretty good & check out doctor diff , Cass is pretty cool & will give you a good play by play & a good price on parts

thanks duster crate. i've done alot of research and figured it out now..

my next questions is where can I find the Inner seals??? i bought my 8 3/4 from a guy who had just installed the greens and he didn't give me the inner seals with them..and that all that I need.

The only place that I can find the inner seals are in a whole bearing kit from local auto parts stores and those cost 150-200 bucks..

-
Back