installing 883 I have 440source flywheel question

-

TomSchichtel

73 Duster
Reaction score
Hi there I have a 72 360 motor and I have a 883 that will be running behind it. I bought a flywheel from 440source.com seen at: http://store.440source.com/1045-Billet-Steel-Flywheel-New/productinfo/113-1014/ which some people on this forum have said works great. My question is if I can just bolt this on and run with it without pulling the crank and having things balanced? I'm not looking for high performance low quarter miles, just a smooth running motor with a 4 speed behind it. Thank You!

If there are any other tips you might have to make my swap work the first time, fire away!

All 360's are externally ballanced. You will need to either add a bolt on weight or remove material to achieve the correct ballance factor.

All 360's are externally ballanced. You will need to either add a bolt on weight or remove material to achieve the correct ballance factor.
werent the cast crank 440's external balance? they might have been internal i just remember the cast crank 440's have a different balance than the steel crank.

did it say what balance the flywheel was when you bought it?

The website said it will work for small blocks that are both internal/external balanced you need to unbolt the small weight on the flywheel if its internal. So I figure if I leave the weight on it might be good to go, I'm just not sure if there is anything I may be missing. It just seems too easy to bolt on something that affects engine balance that is already perfect.

The balance weight you get with the 440 source flywheel is a little bigger (heavier) than it needs to be for a 360 but for a stock engine it probably wouldn't matter that much, just bolt it on and go, factory balance jobs weren't that accurate to begin with. Mcleod sells a balance weight for a non magnum 360 which is a little smaller in size than the one from 440 source and presumably more accurate. You could grind down the weight from 440 source to look like the one from Mcleod and probably be real close or buy the weight from Mcleod and bolt it to the flywheel from 440 source, they both have the same bolt pattern.
Also there are two positions to bolt the weight to the flywheel, one for the small block, one for the big block. If you laid the flywheel on the ground with the four weight bolt holes pointing at your feet the weight will bolt up to the set of holes to your right for the small block.

If the balance is off, you're going to feel it. Trust me. McLeod lists three different weights for their flywheels (besides neutral). If you check their flywheel part numbers, there is a suffix code. It's going to list for a 360, 440 cast crank and 440 sixpack. Get the right weight and put in in the correct position. (I'm pretty sure the 440 Source flywheel is a copy of the McLeod).

The website said it will work for small blocks that are both internal/external balanced you need to unbolt the small weight on the flywheel if its internal. So I figure if I leave the weight on it might be good to go, I'm just not sure if there is anything I may be missing. It just seems too easy to bolt on something that affects engine balance that is already perfect.

IMO, your reading WAY too much into what is written on the 440source site.

Fits ALL Mopar V8 engines (even small blocks!) Works with 10.5 inch clutch only.

It says it FITS, not that the balance is correct. That's a HUGE difference.

The balance difference between the 440 and 360 are enough to cause issues if used inappropriately.

IMO, your reading WAY too much into what is written on the 440source site.

It says it FITS, not that the balance is correct. That's a HUGE difference.

The balance difference between the 440 and 360 are enough to cause issues if used inappropriately.

And you WILL feel it.

-
Back