installing four speed question?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
I have a question, I'm getting ready to install my four speed when the motor comes back from the shop but, what I want to know is do you have to leave the shifter off when installing the trans? I'm doing a four speed conversion and haven't installed a four speed in a mopar ever. Does the shifter get in the way when you are trying to line up the trans to the bell housing? any secrete's or tricks that I would need to hear before I tackle this> Thanks in advance

Pat Faley
Fuzzman
67 Barracuda NB S Clone
Peoria IL

You might want to pull the shifter arms off, if it's like mine (67 Barracuda) they notched the frame and the rods are close. You might have a problem getting the motor/trans in position and you dont want to get hung up on the shifter rods or damage them!

Yes, I leave all that stuff off. Tips, get a helper, if you dont have a tranny jack. these buggers are top heavy and have a nasty habit of getting away from you at the worst possible moment. Looseing it momentarily and hanging the clutch could have you tearing it all back apart. not fun. I do mine by myself, learned the hardway, and built a rig for my jack. good luck.

clutch 008.jpg

Just like mopar head said, leave all that stuff off. Install the trans then install the shifter and linkage.

moparhead is that a craftsman jack? I thought about doing the same thing but I thought that I would strap the trans with a racket strap to the jack. Do you have any more pictures of your jig so, I could make one myself?

Thanks for the good advice
Fuzzman

moparhead is that a craftsman jack? I thought about doing the same thing but I thought that I would strap the trans with a racket strap to the jack. Do you have any more pictures of your jig so, I could make one myself?

Thanks for the good advice
Fuzzman
Yep, 3-T, Kind of elaborate, but works perfectly. Piviot plate gets bolted down. One hole drilled and tapped, to keep the rig from falling off. It sets so stable, it does`nt need a strap, if carefull. Angle crank is a chop saw fence, crank. The first thing a lot of metal stud guys toss. And we`ll use this post as a patend. lol8)

tranny support 002.jpg

tranny support 003.jpg

mopar head that looks like a great idea but , I have one question why does the jig look like it leans backwards? Wouldn't you want it to end up leval or does it lean back at an angle like that to mate with the bell housing? Like I said I haven't done one of these since I was in high school and that was a long time ago. Also is that your drive shaft from the cuda laying on the floor? I need the measurement center to center of the ujoint holes so ,I can have my drive shaft cut down. Are you running a 8 3/4 rearend? I did have a 727 and I'm converting to the four speed so, I heard that I'm going to have to have my drive shaft cut down.

mopar head that looks like a great idea but , I have one question why does the jig look like it leans backwards? Wouldn't you want it to end up leval or does it lean back at an angle like that to mate with the bell housing? Like I said I haven't done one of these since I was in high school and that was a long time ago. Also is that your drive shaft from the cuda laying on the floor? I need the measurement center to center of the ujoint holes so ,I can have my drive shaft cut down. Are you running a 8 3/4 rearend? I did have a 727 and I'm converting to the four speed so, I heard that I'm going to have to have my drive shaft cut down.
That`s why the adjustable crank is in the front. It goes from level to any degree back, once up in the air a little. I put my bell on first, just makes it easier to get to the bolts. With bell in place, you cannot raise the tranny straight up. It will have to arc in, staying tight to the tunnel as possible, throughout the arc, keeping the input shaft center of hole as possible. this system makes it a piece of cake. These pics were taken many months ago, but car is in the air again, waiting for a timeing set. Personally, with all the varibles, I would just measure for your specific needs. With trans and rear mounted, stands under rear, weight of car loaded, slip front yoke in trans, pull out from seal 3/4" place rear u-joint in yoke. keep tapemeasure straight, get center/center of u-joint. and a good drive shaft man can take it from there. have fun

I have a question, I'm getting ready to install my four speed when the motor comes back from the shop but, what I want to know is do you have to leave the shifter off when installing the trans? I'm doing a four speed conversion and haven't installed a four speed in a mopar ever. Does the shifter get in the way when you are trying to line up the trans to the bell housing? any secrete's or tricks that I would need to hear before I tackle this> Thanks in advance

Pat Faley
Fuzzman
67 Barracuda NB S Clone
Peoria IL

I just intsalled, a few weeks ago, my motor and trans as one unit. Wasn't to bad. The biggest issue was the cherry picker casters not turning the way I wanted them to! All of the linkage and the shifter box had to be off because two of the shifter linkage rods go through cross member and the reverse rod goes beneath the cross member.

If I do it again I would use an engine leveler.

i bought four long bolts cut the heads off and ground the sides flat to make nice little studs that i could use to line up the tranny and still take out with a crescent wrench, slid in like a dream.... after a few tries that is, you still need a tranny jack. i opted to make a quick cradle out of wood for my floor jack, THEN it slid in like a dream. good luck

Shifter and rods off, shifter adapter/mount on. 2 studs as described above in top two mounting holes. Then you can put the bottom two bolts in finger tight so you can remove the two top studs.

-
Back