Installing fuel tank grommet?

-

694spd

Reaction score
I have one of those factory replacement fuel tank grommet. The question I have is which way does it go into the tank? This one has the extra rounded lip one one side. I would guess that the extra lip would go on the outside of the tank

Attachments

• 100_3184.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_3186.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_3187.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 294
Pretty sure it's the other way around.
Lube the tube before you put it in, as it makes it a lot easier.

I also have a brand new tank with a grommet installed. As it appears to me the round end goes inside the tank and the square end is outside the tank. Looks to me to be one heck of a job to get in. It's supposed to be tight so it doesn't leak. Good luck, Tom

I just did some searches on this subject and the question has come up on other mopar sites. It looks like the opinions are almost spit on which end goes into the tank.

I just did some searches on this subject and the question has come up on other mopar sites. It looks like the opinions are almost spit on which end goes into the tank.

If you look at the sealing lip it goes the same way as any other seal.

Think keeping the fluid in a transmission, and keeping the gas in the tank, but it still works just fine either way.

I have one of those factory replacement fuel tank grommet. The question I have is which way does it go into the tank? This one has the extra rounded lip one one side. I would guess that the extra lip would go on the outside of the tank

I always put mine in with the inside section that has the bevel Up or outside the tank so that when I installed the filler tube It would slide in easier.

My reasoning was if you removed the tank for some reason it would be easier to re-insert the filler tube, plus how many times would you remove the grommet Vs the filler tube for ohh say sending unit removal or line replacement. so my best guess is rounded inside the tank and square lip out. I ahve seen them in both ways and they did not leak either way, just a bit easier to re-insert the filler tube with the bevel side up.

In your 2nd photo, you are looking at the outside where the fill pipe would be inserted. These are easy to get in if you use a lot of silicone spray and the rubber is fairly warm.

I always put mine in with the inside section that has the bevel Up or outside the tank so that when I installed the filler tube It would slide in easier.

My reasoning was if you removed the tank for some reason it would be easier to re-insert the filler tube, plus how many times would you remove the grommet Vs the filler tube for ohh say sending unit removal or line replacement. so my best guess is rounded inside the tank and square lip out. I ahve seen them in both ways and they did not leak either way, just a bit easier to re-insert the filler tube with the bevel side up.

This is correct.

Part numbers go outside the tank

Well the tank is now in and that's the way I did it. Part number out or in other words the curved lip on the inside of the tank. Not too bad of a job. Lubed the grommet and end of the tube with silicon grease.

I always put it with the beveled side outside myself and the rounded side in.

Here is a picture of the original tank from my 1970 duster and it looks that way too

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 237
I pulled the original tank out of my '69 dart last year and it was installed the way I said to do it earlier, and that's how 694spd did it (I think). Perhaps it doesn't really matter?

The tapered end goes on the outside. I just did this like a few weeks back. Lube it with a light oil. It makes the job easier.

-
Back