Installing Headers on a 2nd Gen. Barracuda

-

Shane65

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve researched the threads but having a hard time finding a solid answer...

I’m installing Dougs (D453) Headers on my mostly stock 318 (68 Barracuda). Seems most people install a mini starter but some have not depending on the header... Anyone know if I need to for sure? If so, which mini-starter do you recommend?

Hey guys, I’ve researched the threads but having a hard time finding a solid answer...

I’m installing Dougs (D453) Headers on my mostly stock 318 (68 Barracuda). Seems most people install a mini starter but some have not depending on the header... Anyone know if I need to for sure? If so, which mini-starter do you recommend?

I will post some pictures for you...

Stay tuned...

Here's how we did it dropping a 340 in a 69 Dart which is the same engine compartment as a 2nd gen Barracuda...

Hang them in the engine compartment with string or coat hangers as you can't get them in place with the engine on its mounts...

DSC04706 B.jpg

Here's where we pilot the engine over the radiator suppost, notice the mini started already bolted to the engine...

DSC04710 B.jpg

DSC04748 B.jpg

DSC04752 B.jpg

DSC04756 B.jpg

DSC04757 B.jpg

When you get most of the way in, then attach the headers on the studs in the heads for the exhaust and then drop the engine in place on the mounts...

DSC04771 B.jpg

DSC04773 B.jpg

DSC04776 B.jpg

DSC04782 B.jpg

Most people use a factory starter from a Dakota. They are smaller

Just use a mini starter from a 90's Dodge Ram or Dakota with a 318 or 360....

I will post some pictures for you...

Stay tuned...
Haha wow, thanks for that post. Looks like one heck of a build... Hopefully I can get them in without completely pulling the motor! :)

I heard the 90’s mini starter for the 318 is smaller than for the 360... Is that true? Are they rated the same as far as starting power?

Haha wow, thanks for that post. Looks like one heck of a build... Hopefully I can get them in without completely pulling the motor! :)

I heard the 90’s mini starter for the 318 is smaller than for the 360... Is that true? Are they rated the same as far as starting power?

Not sure about the starters for the 318 vs the 360...

You may not have to pull the engine, but you will need to lift it up some to get the headers in...

We were changing engines when we did that on the Dart, so we did everything at once...

-
Back