Installing interior carpet

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I'm going to start installing my interior in my 66 Dart. Here are some things that will make this a little more difficult. First I have installed a rollbar. I have the front bars welded to the floor in the front floor pan area. Of course they tilt toward the rear so I will need to cut holes into the carpet to slide them down over.
View attachment IMAG0376.jpg
Are there any secrets on how to know where to cut the holes because as it slides down the bar it will be going forward. The hoop bar isnt welded to the floor yet because I thought I could slide the carpet under the bar, mark the carpet, cut the hole then put the carpet in and have someone hold carpet up while I weld it into place.
When cutting the carpet have you use a utility knife and do you heat the edges so they dont pull or run as they get older?
The carpet is new and will probably be stiff with crease from being in the box for over a year.
After the carpet is the headliner, that will be more questions!
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Rod

What are talking about here? Race car, show car or both?
It the carpet set the factory style loop with the rubberized backing? (Black)
Or poly backed (transparent to white)?
You can melt the edge to help with the unraveling to some extent but sewing a edge binding
is the correct way that will last.
You must always work the carpet from the center out like a decal to determine the locations for the cuts.
It is a difficult job to try and explain in text.

First, you'll want to get your carpet out and lay it flat. Let it warm up as much as possible. I did mine in the summer and let it lay out in the sun all day.

I used a utility knife with a new blade. I didn't do anything on the cut edges since they were under the console, on the sides under the sill plate, behind the kick panels, or under the seats. I used a grommet for the headlight dimmer so it won't ravel.

Take your time and like was mentioned, work from the center to the edges.

I think your best bet on the front roll bar is to lay your carpet out where you want it and mark the underside of the carpet where you need to cut it. I suppose once you got both holes cut for the roll bar, you could side it over both roll bars at the same time, then finish the rest of the carpet cuts once it's laying flat.

No I am not building a show car and I plan on driving it plus doing some racing. However I still want to make it as nice looking as I can and it is brand new carpet. I will try the utility knife and I will work as you have said from the middle out.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post pics once its in and done.
Thanks
Rod

Depending on what type of backing is on the carpet a heat gun can help if it
didn't get moulded to match the floor quite rite.
Only heat the back side and be careful as it can damage the carpet if allowed to get to hot. Best to warm up a foot square at a time and press into the correct shape.

-
Back