installing new top

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am going through my 63 Dart body and I noticed that the holes to secure the trim where the top is clamped on the trunk are kind of all over the place.

I am assuming that the top was replaced in the past and that new holes were drilled to reinstall the trim. Is that a normal occurance for a top replacement?

Also while I am at the stage with the top off doing body work and getting ready to primer and paint should I consider welding the holes up before having a new top installed?

Thanks ya'll.

Hi folks, I am going through my 63 Dart body and I noticed that the holes to secure the trim where the top is clamped on the trunk are kind of all over the place.

I am assuming that the top was replaced in the past and that new holes were drilled to reinstall the trim. Is that a normal occurance for a top replacement?

Also while I am at the stage with the top off doing body work and getting ready to primer and paint should I consider welding the holes up before having a new top installed?

Thanks ya'll.
I had a bunch of holes in mine too. so I used the tackstrip to mark where the holes for the top would go and then (you can see the black magic marker square in the tack strip on the last picture)where the Stainless trim holes would go in the tack strip so I wouldn't put the tack strip screws in the stainless trim holes. then welded up the rest (there were a BUNCH) I think my dart had at least 3 tops on it cause I had a lot of extra holes to fill and grind down.here's the best pic's I have
View attachment DSCF3800.jpg

View attachment DSCF3691.jpg

View attachment !!!!with holes.jpg

View attachment WP_20130414_011.jpg

So you welded up the holes not matching the tack strip? Did you install the top yourself?
Looks like you have a lot of projects in your yard!

Thanks
John

So you welded up the holes not matching the tack strip? Did you install the top yourself?
Looks like you have a lot of projects in your yard!

Thanks
John
yeah I welded up the extra holes. I used the tack strip and stainless trim to make sure I welded the correct holes up. I didn't have to but decided that it would be easier to do it and not hunt for the correct holes. only got a couple projects going on (car wise) re- rubber roofing the 92 motorhome so I can make the last trip (the motor homes last trip that is, darn gas prices sure make that a special occasion only) to oklahome to visit my wife moms grave is the major one. Other than the 2 dart convertibles (the wife's has to have the best parts cause she said so!) and the 70 challenger. now as for other projects yeah there's a bunch going on just waiting for some supplies and time to check part fitment out and waiting on the test pieces to come back from the vacuformers.

I'm doing the top myself,BUT I have the help of a interior upholsterer that works on high dollar cars (I watched him re-upholster from scratch an old square body Bently mid 30's,it's an awesome car along with some nice porches and a couple of Ferrari cars,have no idea what year or type they were. he'll tell me where to push/pull poke or prod the top to get it correct on the dart. The tops has been laid out on the frame(it's a 26 inch rear bow not the 24 inch) but the frame has to come back off to get cleaned and painted and lubed. plus I need to make a header seal channel in order to get the top back on. I did get the top well in and glued down but had to stop because of the header seal channel being so bad.

Wow that's crazy!
I know what you mean bout gas prices. I have a house in Eastern Washington 200 miles away and try to make the trip every 6 weeks or so in my Toyo Highlander Hybrid and its crazy looking at the price of fuel and it differs so much between here and there so I look for the best deals.
I like to make the trip in my 04 VW Golf TDI and really enjoy getting 600+ miles on a tank of diesel, getting close to 50 mpg is a good feeling!
Good luck on your projects and trip to Ok,
john

-
Back