Installing the 8 1/4

-

H22A4

Does anyone read this?
Reaction score
Decided today was the day to start on this project.... so far it's been straight forward but the fat lady hasn't sung yet. I'm reusing the front hangers, rear shackles and rear hanger (with new poly bushings) but notice that there's a bit of play in the front eye bolt when I insert it into the new spring eye with pre-installed bushing... is this normal? There was a bit of play in the old eye but there seems to be more in the new spring.... should I be concerned with that?

drive shaft disconnected.jpg

old and new.jpg

something is missing.jpg

need the front and rear hangers off the old rear end.jpg

There should be no slop in the bushing eye. I believe there were two different size front eye bolts on the a body springs, you may need to check into that.

There should be no slop in the bushing eye. I believe there were two different size front eye bolts on the a body springs, you may need to check into that.

Yes there are two different sizes in front hanger bolts. My original /6 springs had 1/2 inch bolts. When I installed my new SS springs, I upgraded to 5/8" grade 8 bolts. (4 1/2 inches long I think) Had to drill out the spring pockets to 5/8 also.

Thanks for confirming there should not be any 'slop' with the eye bushing/bolt. Problem solved now and the rear end/springs are installed.

Finished the install of the new rear end (8 1/4) with sure-grip and Mopar XHD leaf springs with poly bushings. I was concerned that the XHD's might give it that 'Joe Dirt' look but it's not really jacked up on the rear which is nice. Rides better now too!

v30.jpg

v38.jpg

v47a.jpg

Looks great. I always like it when the rear leafs have that bow in them instead of being straight. I put a set in my 69 dart and it sits just like yours.

stance looks great. looks really good.
just for safety, since every nut/bolt in the rear is freshly torqued, check all of them after about 40-50 miles. then again at 100. after that you should be good to go.

-
Back