installing torque boxes to a finished car

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
can i? i know ill need to grind and clean the indercoating, etc off.
but what can i do to minimize damage to the exterior finish at the pinch weld? id rather not have to have my rockers re-painted if i dont have to....

any ideas?

I'm actually changing the direction of the car. Already installed subframe connectors before the painht and body. Now I'm looking for more torsional rigidity without going for a cage. Also cuttting up the t-bar crossmember for a 5 speed, and torque boxes reinforce that area.

You wouldn't need to have the rockers repainted. Just mask everything off to protect it and be careful.

If you do damage the finish on the pinch weld, it can be repaired with a detail gun, then burn in the clear.

The repair area would be very small and it would be low and under the car, out of direct sun.

You never want to burn in clear on the upper body because it will fail, but in the area you are talking about, it would be fine.

havent bought them yet. so no progress.
and that looks like a pretty good price right there.

ill actually be starting to buy all my parts after i finish the 442 thats clogging up my bay.

Hey, I put my boxes in which I got from those guys. Burned a reasonable bit of paint around the spot welds too. I sand blasted around and under the spot welds, spotted in with epoxy and inside the boxes I soaked "Eastwood inside frame coating", and painted the bottom of my car. I bareley got the bottom painted and changed my mind on the color and added the plates during color change.

Rear boxes are worth it.

Front boxes did not tie things together like I wanted. I would make front plates which tie to T bar cross member next time. I ended up shaving the part that welded to the floor pan (front boxes) cause my inside is painted and did not want to repaint inside.

Few pics, let me know if you want me to remove some of the pics to unclog your thread :)

Attachments

• (223).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,369
  • (224).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 786
  • (225).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 759
  • (228).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,399
  • (229).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 785
  • (231).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,467
do you have a pic of the penetration through the pinch weld?
those pics and descritption help. definately on the list for when it comes back to my shop.

looks good
what did you use for your frame connectors?
im gonna add some to my dart and like the low profile yours have.
got a picture of how theyre tied into the trans crossmember?

What about using some panel bonding adhesive at the pinch weld? Use the mig where you can everywhere else. Yes, no, maybe?

Wylde1.

-
Back