Instructions for Steering Coupler rebuild?

-

loyal0ne

Reaction score
Hello All. New to mopars and looking for some instructions on how to rebuild the steering coupler on my 72 Duster(manual steering). here is the kit i bought:

59_1.jpg

Trying to reduce the slop as much as possible. Trying the low cost fix before i look into replacing/rebuilding the steering box.

Anyone have some help for a newbie???

thanks.

59_1.jpg

59_1.jpg

If you still have the other coupler and the related parts still on the car make sure as you remove them to take note how they are installed. I've installed one of those before but it has been awhile. I can't remember if the two (twin) pieces turn toward the steering shaft or away. They are rounded on one side and flat on the other and it believe the rounded side goes toward the steering shaft.

Where did you get that from? I need to do mine too but mine is power steering. I looked for these before and never found them.

It's almost self-explanatory - only goes together one way, pretty obvious when you get to working with it. The little sheetmetal cage holds the blocks together while you insert it back into the coupler housing. Couple tips:

1) Pull the steering column completely out of the car and hold the coupler init assembled while you crimp the seal retainer tabs with a hammer and punch - good way to get it securely fastened. You'll never get it on there good with the column in the car, no good way to crimp the tabs.

2) Drill the coupler housing, tap and install a 90 deg. zerk to grease it. Maybe last a little longer next time.

3) Better yet, spend $150 to get a Flaming River U-Joint and fuggedaboudit.

also, dont expect the seal and cover to stay in place long. they never do.

-
Back