Instrument cluster moc-up

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I thought I wouild show you guys where I'm going with the dash to get some feedback. There will be a shift light and radar display as a heads up display at eye level as well.
Andrew

dash moc-up.jpg

Very neat, Andrew. Do you have any details on the instruments? What type of radar detector do you use and how did you integrate it into your dash display?

The instruments are by Nordskog, There has been a change in the color of the displays to all blue. Whan I did the CAD drawing the blue ones were not out yet. And I don't want to take the time right now to substitute all of the JPegs of the gauges. The mock up is for fit and line of site more than anything. As far as the cost goes, time is our friend the prices are comming down as the popularity of digital gauges grows. The two large gauges are $160 ea and the small ones are $40 ea for about $640 for the package.

The LOCKED light is connected to a 12 key keypad and is the only thing lit when you put the key in the ignition and turn the car on. Entering the 6 digit PIN energizes all the systems and allows you to start the car. It costs $60.

The RADAR DETECTED light is connected to a 'Blinder Extreme" LASER jammer. Its only output is a led which will light the display.

The RADAR detector is a 'Valintine one' with a 'concealed' display module mounted under the dash set up as a heads up[ display. along with a shift light.
This is the best I can do getting all of the drawing up loaded as a JPEG.
Andrew

heads up display.jpg

Thanks, Andrew, good stuff there. I have always been intrigued by heads-up displays since seeing them on military aircraft. Do you anticipate any problems with focus or setting the image where you want it on the windshield?

Fish,
since its a simple reflection based image focus should not be a problem. As far as where the image will endup is one of the reasons I had to pull the dash. I have the location of the image mapped out on the top of the dash on masking tape. When I put the dash back in I will be able to see where it will be seen.
As it looks right now it might be a little low on the windshield. Since I have it set right at the back of the dash pad moving it up will require cutting into the pad. This is why mockups are so important.
Andrew

THanks for the info, Andrew; please keep us updated on your progress with this project. You are surely kicking butt on it.

I spent a few hours this afternoon and fabricated the dash face. The pics are of what you would call a blank slate. The final picture takes up where the very first moc-up pic leaves off. This whole set up gives me room to put in three AC vents as well as the electronics. The screen is an 8" touch screen for the Nav unit/computer.The glove compartment door will be setup on a push/touch latch and a slow/down flap hinge (used in furniture making). Attached to the door will be a small keyboard for the computer a Navigator can operate.
Andrew

dash blank 1.jpg

dash blank 2.jpg

dash blank 3.jpg

dash moc-up2.jpg

Fish,
I got a chance to put the dash back in for a test locate and while the focus will not be a problem, if I had cut the hole where I originally marked it all would have been crooked. Because of the curve of the windshield I will have to rotate everything about fifteen degrees in order for the images reflection to be level. It also looks like I will have to either cut a hole in the dash pad for the shift light or put the two displays side by side rather than one on top of each other due to space constraints.
Andrew

Ya know it can be the little things that whop ya.
I spent an entire afternoon just installing the latch for the gove box.
This style of latch is designed to adjust to the swing on a cabinet door, say an 18" radius. it does not however respond well to a 4" radius. The final soultion was to mount the actual catch on a metal plate that pivots adjusting to the small radius. Pics included.
Andrew

glovebox 1.jpg

glovebox 2.jpg

I thought I wouild show you guys where I'm going with the dash to get some feedback. There will be a shift light and radar display as a heads up display at eye level as well.
Andrew

Forget about the HUD for me. Is this something that Nordskog intends to produce for the A-body? I'd like one of those for the dash in the Demon. This is really cool.

Have HUD in an XLR at work. Easy to lose track of display in sunlight or in on-coming traffic at night. If the road is pitching you around, it's also easy to lose sight of the HUD.

Forget about the HUD for me. Is this something that Nordskog intends to produce for the A-body? I'd like one of those for the dash in the Demon. This is really cool.

Have HUD in an XLR at work. Easy to lose track of display in sunlight or in on-coming traffic at night. If the road is pitching you around, it's also easy to lose sight of the HUD.

That is probably the reason the military uses a tinted screen separate from the windscreen. It can be seen is all backlight conditions.

The short answer to your question is no.

When I spoke to them all I wanted to do was buy the circuit boards and put the cluster together from that point. They do have a 'developers' kit but it costs more than actually buying the individual gauges, go figure?!

What the tech told me to do was buy the gauges and take the lens and ring off of the front of the gauges and mount them in the dash and put a piece of smoked plexi over all of them for a seamless look. That is waht I will do. The turn signal arrows and text will be back lit pieces of mylar run through the printer with additional red lighting gel behind them.
Andrew

-
Back