instrument cluster number 3

-

curber

Reaction score
So this is the 3rd cluster I have purchased for my 65 valiant this one works lights work temp.gauge works I have to replaced the bouncing speedo but gas gauge still don't work I have replaced the voltage limiter and still no reading on the gas gauge I even replaced the float stillnothing, any thoughts .

So this is the 3rd cluster I have purchased for my 65 valiant this one works lights work temp.gauge works I have to replaced the bouncing speedo but gas gauge still don't work I have replaced the voltage limiter and still no reading on the gas gauge I even replaced the float stillnothing, any thoughts .

have you checked that the gauge even works?
check the wire going to the fuel tank and see if you get a pulsed signal. if no signal go to the instrument cluster and check for continuity from the gauge to the sender and check that there is voltage coming from the gauge. with a digital meter it'll look funny with a stock limiter since it pulses but should show some voltage. I use an old analog meter.
you can ground the wire (NOT LONG it will damage the gauge if left too long) and it should go to the full position. if the needle starts to move you can let the wire loose since the gauge is working and the sender might be bad.

oops forgot
first add a ground wire going from the instrument cluster to the dash frame if you have the cluster out of the dash, since the gauges and lights do like to be grounded to work correctly:banghead:

mine was actually the sender that had a bad ground. welded a bolt to it and attached a short ground wire.

-
Back