Instrument lights color

-

340swinger4spd

Reaction score
Hey all, I am working on my dash lights. What is the original instrument light color for my 70 Swinger 340 with a ralleye dash.? I replaced all the bulbs last year and the illumination was white. I thought it suppose to be a blue green color. I still have the colored lenses inside but they dont change the color of the white lights.Thanx...

No one? Here are a few pics.. the last pic shows a blue led on the left and an original bulb on the right.
20180325_155834.jpg
20180325_152618.jpg
20180325_171219.jpg

That is a new 8k tach from Classic Industries.I think the font is a bit off. I guess my question is, why is there a turquoise lens for the ilumination but the light is white. I thought after 50 years the color has bleached out?

This all started when I bought a retro-sound thumbwheel radio. It has a blue illumination light. I called questioning the color. They said blue is the correct factory color.

That is a new 8k tach from Classic Industries.I think the font is a bit off. I guess my question is, why is there a turquoise lens for the ilumination but the light is white. I thought after 50 years the color has bleached out?

This all started when I bought a retro-sound thumbwheel radio. It has a blue illumination light. I called questioning the color. They said blue is the correct factory color.

Why don't you just change the color on your radio? I played around with the colors on my retrosound until I had it just right.

I could be wrong but I believe the factory radio light has a blue shield. So them using a blue bulb makes sense?
Also the tach is new so the lettering on it will seem brighter. Clean your factory gauge faces maybe?

I could be wrong but I believe the factory radio light has a blue shield. So them using a blue bulb makes sense?
Also the tach is new so the lettering on it will seem brighter. Clean your factory gauge faces maybe?

The lenses were polished. So the radio is blue and the gauges are white? Weird....

Why don't you just change the color on your radio? I played around with the colors on my retrosound until I had it just right.
I was told the color is fixed. So you can't select a different color. I would need to send the radio back to have the color changed.

Not the lenses, clean the gauges themselves (might be already done though). I cleaned mine gently with damp q-tips. Bulbs Are #194 I believe.
At best factory lights are pi$$ poor. I put less in mine. When they work it's an improvement. Also if you do a headlight relay upgrade there is a noticeable improvement to dash lights.
The lenses were polished. So the radio is blue and the gauges are white? Weird....

Not the lenses, clean the gauges themselves (might be already done though). I cleaned mine gently with damp q-tips. Bulbs Are #194 I believe.
At best factory lights are pi$$ poor. I put less in mine. When they work it's an improvement. Also if you do a headlight relay upgrade there is a noticeable improvement to dash lights.

Yeah, I did the 9004 halogen upgrade with relays. I also added an extra wire for the alternator. Voltage isn't an issue nor is the brightness. I just want the correct color. The pics above are using my plating power supple at 12.8 volts.

I thought the tach being brighter was correct do to having the bulbs directly on each side of the tach.

Ok gotcha. New technology is what I would chalk it up to.
Yeah, I did the 9004 halogen upgrade with relays. I also added an extra wire for the alternator. Voltage isn't an issue nor is the brightness. I just want the correct color. The pics above are using my plating power supple at 12.8 volts.

I thought the tach being brighter was correct do to having the bulbs directly on each side of the tach.

-
Back