Instrument panel ?

-

MOPARTEEN

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question on restoring my instrument panel. I am just looking to repaint it because its pretty worn. I was wondering what paint you guys used and if theres any pointers on how to prep the surface because its plastic. If I was informed correctly the color is argent silver but i only have that in steel wheel spray paint. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out the Duplicolor line of products at your local auto supply. They have an adhesion promoter (primer) for plastics, as well as a few colors of vinyl paints to choose from. However, I believe you can use most other rattle can acrylic or enamel paints, such as Duplicolor, Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.

Jerry

Thanks Mr.Jerry, Im gonna check out that adhesion promoter. Its a 70 dart.

Not sure about the argent.......true argent has a texture....be sure of what you want.......

Adhesion promoter is a must, but proper prep is gonna make or break the job....On plastic, NEVER use sandpaper unless you're "softening" a scratch or gouge.....You need 000 or 0000 steel wool to smooth out the plastic parts.........it smooths and removes old plastic chrome too without ruining or marring the parts.........

After you clean and steel wool, be sure to wipe it down with some quick drying prep solvent before you mask and paint............then the adhesion promoter, followed by your topcoats........if you have heavily discolored areas after steel wooling, and you want an even color before paint, use a little dove gray primer over the adhesion promoter, and very lightly dull it with 0000 steel wool before your topcoats....and wipe it again with prep-solvent before paint......

...oh, and don't forget to wear some latex or vinyl gloves....it will keep the salt and oil from your hands OFF the parts. 8)

-
Back