Insulation under the carpet?

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
So I don't hurt myself or anyone else, what is the material of the insulation under the carpet (specifically on the trans tunnel)? It looks like the fiberglass insulation you'd use in an attic, but I want to make sure.

If it happens to be that fiberglass or something dangerous, what's the best way to remove and dispose of it? Thanks.

Usually, the insulation material is jute, which is a natural fiber. If you're allergic to weeds, use a dust mask and use usual precautions. This is not to say some other kind of insulation hasn't been put in place.

If you suspect fiberglass or worse, purchase lawn leaf bags, rubber gloves, dust mask, & goggles. If someone happened to use an asbestos type material, you're talking hazmat. Disregard this message.

You can also get a paper painter's suit at Lowe's ...etc. Put on the painter's suit and goggles. Tape the legs of the suit around your shoes, and tape around your wrist after you put the gloves on.

Before hand, check the wind direction. Work from the upwind side. Carefully remove the material in question and bag it in the leaf bags. Don't fold or move any more than you need to avoiding putting dust in the air.

After everything has been removed, run a fan or leaf blower to get rid of anything remain at the site. Wipe down your interior with Endust or some such material to pick up remaining nasties.

You will need an assistant to cut the painter's suit off of you. Face downwind and have your helper cut the suit off from the back. Toss the suit in a leaf bag, then the gloves. Take a shower and remember to put the trash out.

-
Back