Insulation-

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have acquired some sort of fiber/jute type insulation that is about 1" thick. Some is just bare and does not seem to shed or fall apart easily. Other strips I have are encased in thin/clear plastic. I plan to use some of this behind my rear seat back, maybe some under the seat too, and especially on the firewall- I know the factory had some there at least on the Barracudas I've had, and this stuff looks similar but maybe w/more integrity......or at least its not 50 yrs old and crumbling!

My question: Would the insulation properties (hoping both heat and sound) be affected by the plastic covering............as in should I remove that before I lightly glue it on the firewall or leave it in the plastic?

I would suggest not using the plastic, or at least remove it before using it. Anything that can trap moisture between it and the metal of your auto is bad... just like the vinyl flooring that was in mine, it just so happened to have a jute backing. Water got in, had no way to quickly wick away or dry. It rusted far worse than it would have if it had just had carpet and jute.

usually the plastic are for the doors and the jute is for floor and firewall, kick panels, at least all that i have worked on, the plastic protects the door panels because they are cardboard like material and if water gets trapped inside the door when you slam it water will destroy the cardboard without the plastic to protect it, on 2 door cars they have plastic under those panels on the back seat too, to protect them, hope this helped

-
Back