Insurance companies suck!

-

Craig NY

Reaction score
Well after like three weeks of waiting, i had to call these idiots twice to find out that i was DENIED collectors insurance, because i dont have a car for every licenced driver in the house, so i guess they think i could drive it every day. Yeah like im cgonna be doing heavy construction jobs in my Duster! I called another guy here in the aera, and i was told that my car wasant worth enough for collectors insurance, so it looks like ill have to go with my regular company and pay more for a car im drive mabye 2000 miles a year! This is making me consider the possibilty of making her a full out race car seem more appealing! Ive had the car like a month and i havent gotten to take her out for a real cruise! All my parts are here sitting in my house my tires are at the shop, i need to get the ball rolling, those dummies wasted three weeks of my time :axe: :violent1: :boxing:

They can be a pain but I've never had any trouble with getting the insurance. I've always had a truck that I would drive to work and then had my 68 Charger. Now that I've got the cuda I have collectors insurance on it as well. I had to take pictures of all four sides the interior the engine and the trunk before I could get it. If it is a total loss I would get around $15,000 for it.

If your car is more than 20-25 years old,its a antique or classic car and qualifies as a collector car as long as you have it re-estiamated and valued, to a proper value.My 65 chrysler 300,was estimated at 14G$,and my yearly fee is less than 150$.This puts some resriction on the driving that you need to respect.Some companys that come to mind are,Grundy,silver wheels,and there are otheres.Your company is F@#%ing you around,so flush them completely and get on the phone,and sprend the word about them,mrmopartech

I got mine through Grundy. I had no problem with them. I had to
show that I had an every day driver and a garage to put it in.
Try them if you haven't. I pay around $170.00 year on my 73
Duster. Good luck.

I've got Vintage car insurance up here for $250 with a value of 30K but that's with a licensed company doing the appraisal complete with pictures. The limits are, no drivers under the age of 25, no more than 2500miles/yr, Can't drive it to work, can only drive to cruises, car shows and picnics (it actually says that) and basically farting around. I can live with that and oh yea no racing of course.

Terry :burnout:

where can i go to get this kinda insurance, can i put my regular truck and car on it? Will it be cheaper for my cars and cuda, will i be able to get what the 'real' value of my car is worth if something happens, had a big problem with the dart and that accident :cussing:

THere are two guys at work that have Hagerty and never had a problem. Unlimited miles! Roll back service. And if i remember they pay reasonable rates, ones a Mustang and ones a Barracuda. Both '68. Vaued for 18K. I was planning on calling them when my car is near complete.

My stipilation is I have a primary vehicle registered to me and I have a garage for the collector car. Also, back when I first got coverage on my Barracuda in `98 I was told that because it was a "P" code car (340 engine) it fit the criteria for collectors insurance. If it was a 318 car it wouldn't have been eligible.

BTW: I'm insured with Hagerty through Alan Blay over in Merrick at 1-516-884-2716 if you haven't given him a shot already.

If you dont have a daily driver for each person in the house, they give you a hard time. I have a company vehicle that i dont own, and i only have one other car right now

Craig NY said:
If you dont have a daily driver for each person in the house, they give you a hard time. I have a company vehicle that i dont own, and i only have one other car right now

That's going to screw you up... not having a personal car registered to you. Although they never mentioned it, Amy's VW is titled in her name, and my Dart to me. I guess I meet the "car for each person" criteria.

As a side note, give Geiko a call. My Wife and me both commute to work without using our personal cars and we pay very low rates. They may take that into consideration since you use a company car and your personal car is an older, special interest vehicle. What could it hurt to ask?

demon seed said:
The limits are, no drivers under the age of 25, no more than 2500miles/yr, Can't drive it to work, can only drive to cruises, car shows and picnics (it actually says that) and basically farting around. I can live with that and oh yea no racing of course.
Man, they forgot the " you can only drive it when less than two cars on the same road between 6am and 7am Saturdays only." LOL
My Challenger isn't a show car by any means, it's more like the first mopar many of us owned, bad paint, bad interior, but runs good. But there is no way I'm letting an insurance company tell me when or how I can drive MY car!
It's bad enough that many citys are making all these rules so they can tell you what YOU can do on YOUR own property and then to have the insurance companys doing it too.
I'm an Electrician so I'm always on a big construction site. I drive my Challenger to work every day in rush hour traffic, hour long commutes, in the rain, 110+ deg weather etc and I wouldn't give that up for anything.
Now if you have a bunch of Mopars then I could see how that could get expensive so I guess you have to do what you have to do, it just seems like alot to give up for something YOU own.

I have a company vehicle also and my ins agent added an "extended non-owner" endorsment on my regular ins policy, it cost $14 a year extra. It list a vehicle on my policy and gives me a card to keep in the glove box. Mabe if you did this it would make them happy. I use grandby for my Duster at $111 a year for $12000 coverage. Good luck

Craig NY said:

There should be some way of getting the insurance you want for your car. What I had to do with State Farm years ago when I had a 68 Charger was sit down and list everything I had invested/added into the car and give a price for each. I came up with $13,000 or so and they set at $15,500 if the car was total loss. I know that some insurance companies need you to have your car appraised and costs some money to get it done. I now have Hagerty and all I had to do was send them more than enough pictures of the car before they would insure it. The insurance company that handles my truck insurance which is my daily driver hooked up me with Hagerty to insure my cuda. If I have any questions or anything I sit down with one person for my cuda and truck which is good. Have you figured what you have invested into your car and what you paid for it for a grand total? I realize the problem you are having by what you have stated above but if you went out bought a car that was worth $20,000 or more lets just say then you wouldn't be able to drive it without a peace of mind if someone hit you or something. That's what happened to my beloved 68 Charger. A woman flat out ran a stop sign and t-boned it and thank God I had classic insurance because they gave me the $15,500 for the car. It was in bad shape. When I bought the 67 Barracuda I waited until I got the classic insurance before I dare drive it on the road. It sat for about 5 days before they insured it.

Sneed Robinson and Gerber 800 619 7827 is a Corvette insurance agent. They also can do a show machine policy for you placed with St Pauls Travelers. They will be more money that a collectors policy but much less than a standard policy and it will include an agreed value for comprehensive and collision. I am on Long Island and pay $310 per year on my 70 Duster with an agreed value of $12,000. I switched my Duster when I bought a Vette because even though it cost more I was able to cover both cars under my liability umbrella policy with Travelers.

ted_sweet said:
HOWC many drivers are in the household?
There are two drivers, my wife and myself, but only one car that we owm besides the Duster, my pickup is a company vehicle, i want to get the ball rolling on my car so im gonna try to get something going with my regular insurance company for only a couple of months, and during then look into all the info you guys gave me thanks! I dont want to keep submitting apps, waiting for underwriters to look at it and find out two weeks later that it was denied, ill spenf a couple of extra bucks if it buys me 3 months and take it from there, i want it registered by this weekend!!!!

OK Forget a specific agent...Just call Hagerty insurance in Michigan, they insure classics all over the country are advertised at Barrette Jackson have decent rates...and just asked me to prove that my classic was garage kept...they never asked me diddly about my other cars, or who they were insured with or who drove them....I sent pictures of my cars storage garage and the address and that was that.....from my perspecitive they are professional & tight and resonable as hell for classic year round insurance, my Duster is appraised at 25k they insured replacement value, My 67 428 Bonneville Convertible appraised at 27k also insured for replacement..... the 66 cuda is still being restored so it has no auto insurance presently ....check them out again I think your first encounter might have been a simple disconnect of some sort

Well i may be changing jobs in a month or so and ill have to get another another daily driver if i do. Im gonna go with state farm who does my other car, for three months and ill try to work something out in the mean time, probably with Haggerty, or American collectors, if i change jobs and get a s-box car i can probably get insurance easier

-
Back