Intake air temperature test

-

peelo57

Reaction score
I was interested about how hot these under hood open air elements get on normal drive so i made little experiment. I put normal air temp inside one and drove my car about one hour. Hottest it got was 97f while outside was about 60. That 70 is inside car.

So if its about 30-40f hotter that would equal about 3-4% power loss if 10f is 1%.

Have to try CAI :)

My combo is 72 duster 318 headders and 4barrel carb with 1.1/2 inch spacer. Dont know hp but it goes about 14.7 in 1/4 mile
20160912_174959.jpg
20160912_174906.jpg

You also have to factor in how close the jetting is to optimum under the current conditions. Cooler air will make more HP, but if jetting is as good as it can be without a scoop, then adding a scoop to provide cooler air may provide for a leaner than optimum A/F ratio. Just like if may be on the rich side now, simply adding cooler air will make a positive difference by leaning it out some.

Then there is always the scoop design that can cause turbulence and affect the airflow into the carb. Had a friend that did a sealed ram air set up on his '65 Plymouth. It improved it, but was inconsistent. Cut some vent holes in the seals and consistency returned. I don't think it slowed down overall.

I have wideband gauge on my car. Because i am bad at tuning my carb otherwise. So i can monitor a/f easily.

Of course if cold air intake restrict or makes turbulence all benefits from cold air are lost.

Every modern engine has a cold air system, car makers design and install it for a reason. Engines are air pumps, colder are is denser. More air, more power.

yep, most cars at 1980 and after had somekind of CAI.

This was just quick test to see what temprature air engine gets with common cheap open air cleaner.
I havent found much information about this on our cars, just talk about CAI but not any measurements.

I will do some kind under hood solution. Not cutting holes to hood

-
Back