Intake, Carb, and Cam kit for a 318

-

Ben440ny

Reaction score
Hello All,

Looking to wake up my stock 318 in my 1972 Dart Swinger. I'm leaning towards the Eldlebrock 1406 Carb and Performer Manifold. Considering the RPM performer as well. Basically looking to build a peppy street machine that you can drive anywhere.

Just found this kit on Jegs that also comes with a Cam. Anyone have experience with this kit? Thoughts on the cam in particular would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2176PK/10002/-1?parentProductId=.

The Cam is a performer-plus hydraulic.

Duration Advertised270° Intake/270° Exhaust
Duration @ .050''204° Intake/204° Exhaust
Lift @ Valve.420'' Intake/.420'' Exhaust
Lift @ Cam.280'' Intake/.280'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle110°
Intake Centerline106°
Intake Timing @ .050" Open 4° ATDC
Close 28° ABDC
Exhaust Timing @ .050" Open 36° BBDC
Close 12° BTDC

Cam is on the high side for stock compession, look for 262ish cam like Xe262h or a cam with similar spec's from another company. Don't really need RPM manifold the rest you picked is Kool.

If you really want good combo go with a howards cam, its .501ish lift, 267 duration seat to seat, performer rpm or stock 340 intake and a holley 3310 vac carb, pull the heads and do a minor cleanup and put the right springs on

if your going to change the cam i would highly recommend changing the valve springs. i had a 68 318 out of a b-body and did the performer intake with a 650holly and the 450ish lift mopar 340 cam. with that cam and stock worn out springs it would float the valves at 5k. i put in the new springs and picked up .40 in the quarter and it was a whole other animal. car went 13.80 at 103 in my 67 dart with 3.55 gears and 3000 stall converter.

Thanks everybody! In particular 273...appreciate your advice on the other thread.

So your thoughts are that this cam would be no good with stock compression? Mind explaining some of the reasoning? I'm real green when it comes to engine building and could use the advice. I know higher compression means more power, but what spec on the cam would be particularly effected by low compression. Is it that the lift is too high? Too much fuel and air being sucked in and not enough compression for complete burn?

I was not planning on messing with the cam for a while, and then I found this kit. I doubt I can swap in a different one so maybe I will buy the intake and carb individually.

Not trying to step on 273 here. He's a good guy.

With your compression, which is actully 8.0 to 1, 8.5 to 1 at best, i like this cam. Cheap and will work with fresh stock springs. The Performer and carb would be fine.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K6900/

Don't forget a good set of dual ext. pipes will help also.

Here are the specs on the cam.

Duration Advertised:270° Intake / 270° ExhaustDuration @ .050'' Lift:204° Intake / 204° ExhaustValve Lift:.420'' Intake / .420'' ExhaustLobe Separation Angle:110°Open/Close @.050'' Cam Lift:Intake - 4° ATDC (opens) / 28° ABDC (closes)
Exhaust - 36° BBDC (opens) / 12° BTDC (closes)

That's perfect for stock compression. It will build cylinder pressure and create a lot of bottom emd torque. Mated with the matched intake and carb, it's a great choice. Can you do better? Maybe so, but you've got it all in one spot right there with zero guess work. that's what that kit is designed for. Upgrading stock engines.

By all means step on my toes, I'm no cam expert the biggest cam I've used was 340 cam in stock bottom end 318 with 360 heads, intake, carb and stock exhaust on a 76 D150 I know it every thing they say don't do to a 318 but it was pretty quick for what it was. But wouldn't a cam with more lift with that durartion be better?

By all means step on my toes, I'm no cam expert the biggest cam I've used was 340 cam in stock bottom end 318 with 360 heads, intake, carb and stock exhaust on a 76 D150 I know it every thing they say don't do to a 318 but it was pretty quick for what it was. But wouldn't a cam with more lift with that durartion be better?

Nope. Not with a stock copmpression engine. Now if he was gonna raise compression somehow, then yes. But when you start going up too far in duration @.050, you start bleeding off cylinder pressure. Stock 318s need all the help they can get there.

...and I wasn't trying to step on your toes. Sorry if it came out like that.

273, Both our choices have a little more dur. on the exhaust so i think we agree there. More lift as you say would be good too. My concern is with a stock converter and more then likely 2.7ish gears that the 218* intake might be a bit much. I think we're probably splitting hairs anyway. You and i can probably handle more cam, i just tend to be conservative, maybe overly so, with recommendations when im not exactly sure what the end user really desires...... And the price for the Summit kit is nice:D.

I see my problem I usually gloss over @0.50" spec's.

I just looked the cam I recommend and it way bigger than his 270/270 advertised, 205/205 @0.50" vs my 262/270 advertised, 218/224 @0.050" oops.

I woke mine up with an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake, Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb and a comp cams XE268H. Worked well. I was happy with it, but still went to a 408 over the winter.

...and I wasn't trying to step on your toes. Sorry if it came out like that.

I didn't think you or OldmanRick were, just replying to how OldmanRick started off post #6 with "not trying to step on 273", :)

I didn't think you or OldmanRick were, just replying to how OldmanRick started off post #6 with "not trying to step on 273", :)

Coolness.

FABO is great! The discussion on this thread is helping me to recall my old cam knowledge and to teach me some new stuff. Thanks guys.

-
Back