Intake for Quadrajet

-

sl7732

73 Swinger
Reaction score
Just aquired a Quadrajet (free) that needs to be rebuilt and re-jetted, can anyone suggest which intake would be best and appropiate jetting?
Am interested in possibly using a stock cast iron intake.
It's for a stock 318 and the carb came off a 71 Olds 442 so I am wondering if the bolt pattern will be of any issue.

Very greatful for any advise.

'71 up 340's had a spreadbore intake stock and starting in '74 360's had a spreadbore intake. In the mid-80's when the Thermquad went away Mopar used Q-jets stock on 360's. I have Q-jet's on my '72 Duster and '74 Dodge D200 and they are great for mileage and power. As far as the jetting, I don't remember what they are now, I changed them a little from the stock jetting. They did run OK with the stock jetting but my carbs are the stock mid 80's Mopar Q-jets. If your carb is truely a '71 442 carb I would sell it and purchase one of the Mopar versions. I bet you could get a fair amount of money from the 442 carb. There are three main reasons for using the Mopar Q-jet. One, it is the same carb as the Edelbrock Q-jet so their jetting kits work on the Mopar Q-jet (it's what I use). Two, the Mopar Q-jet has an electric choke so it is very easy hooking up a choke. Three, being it is off of a Mopar the throttle shaft is designed for Mopar linkage.

Chuck

Yes to what he said. All use the same bolt pattern.
Years ago I was putting Q-jets up on several Mopars. I got a 86 cop car with one of those electronic Q-jets. It had the correct linkage, bracketts and lever which I copied. But I trashed the carb.
I sort of had a little assembly line going making the Mopar throtle levers and swapping them onto junk yard GM Q-jets.
(Tack welding them on the shaft works fine as long as you don't use the carb base for the ground.:D)
I just got several carbs and tried different ones as they came off GM cars after cleaning them up.
That is because they are a pain in rear to open up and re-jet.
But it can be done if one has the time and parts.
I did get the time to play with one carb and use that on my driver. I get 23 mpg every day on that car.
They have their advantages. Drivability being one.

adriver, brings up something that I forgot about. The mid 80's 318 4 barrel Q-jets can be computer feedback style which you don't want. All of the truck/van 360 Q-jets are non-feedback style so that is the one to get.

Chuck

Thanks very much for the words of wisdom. As I dont know much about the Quadrajets, I have been saved a lot of time researching.

Thanks again for everyones experience and words of wisdom.

Steve..

If you are looking for a intake I have one from a 74 360 that I want to sell for $50.00 plus shipping from NW Arkansas.

Larry408,
Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. I think I have someone local that has one for $50 that I can just pick up so it will save me on shipping but if that falls through I will get back to you.

-
Back