Intake install help

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I am making a swap from 2 bbl to 4 bbl on my 318 using a Edelbrock performer intake, and notice when I set in on there is a gap in the middle, doesn't look like it goes to anything but please look at the picture and let me know if this is normal, before I bolt on the intake.

gap.JPG

This is normal.This area is the heat cross over for the exhaust.What you should do is buy the felpro block off plates to stop the exhaust from traveling through the manifold.Or make some .005-.010 thick metal plates to silicone over the holes.This will give you more power and less gas being burnt up by hot exhaust going through the manifold.If you do not drive the car in the winter its better to do this,as it will give you a bit more power and better fuel milage.The cut out area is to reduce heat over the exhaust port for the intake and stop oil from crusting on top of the port in the valve cover!Mrmopartech

Thanks for the quick reply, this my first mopar (always had gm) so I thought I would check before I bolt it on.

Last question on the intake, I have read not to use the cork gasket supplied just put a bead of black RTV sealent, should I used the gaskets or not?

I use the high temp copper RTV for the lifter valley ends. Use a center punch and hammer to put a dimple every couple inches in both the block and the manifold to give the RTV something to grip. Also clean the gasket surfaces with a rag sprayed with brake cleaner.

Also, I suggest you use thread sealer (or more copper RTV) on the manifold bolts. The screws protrude into the oil drainback passages in the heads. On my engine, I didn't use sealer and I get little puddles of oil on the intake. My guess is the oil wicks up the bolt threads. Here is a pic that shows what I'm talking about.
intake_bottom.jpg

Good information about the intake. I saw where Mr. Gasket makes a gasket that's solid but I was afraid of the heat build up. I figured Chrysler must of designed it for a reason but it bothers me that it's open. Thanks for the tip on sealing the bolts.

-
Back