Intake manifold choice

-

Uberlegen

Reaction score
I am putting together a 451 stroker for my 69 Dart w/ stock hood. I would like to go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM (7186) but do not know if I will have the clearance as it is taller than stock. I plan on using a Holley 750 w/ a standard 3" high x 14" diameter air cleaner. The standard Performer (2186) looks like it would fit w/ no problems, but I am looking for a bit more gumption. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

You are going to be close to the hood. With the stroker motor to me, you would better off with a 4 inch high air cleaner or go with a K/N air filter lid with the 3 inch high filter.

I have a 69 B'cuda with a 470" low deck with a RPM intake. I use a drop base air cleaner with a 4" element with a KN filter top......it fits fine

Another option would be a DP4B.

Surprise! The oldest design produced the best average power of the dual-planes-of course we're only talking 1-3 numbers better, and that can be testing variance, but still, this thing wasn't at all bad. It's the first of the Mopar aftermarket dual-planes but has not been sold in many years. The DP4B designation means Dodge-Plymouth 4-Barrel, and the C4B (Chrysler 4-Barrel) is for 440s. This intake is most like the stock design, with the smaller of the two planes on the right side and feeding cylinders 2, 3, 5, and 8. The coil bracket is not in the stock location, but even so, many people who want an OE look use this manifold.

Price: Ours was $104.39 on eBay, but maybe the price will jump now.

Manifold height: front 311/44, rear 411/48
Peak torque: 456 lb-ft @ 3,800
Peak horsepower: 445 hp @ 5,900
Power at 3,000 rpm: 419 lb-ft, 239 hp
Power at 5,000 rpm: 431 lb-ft, 410 hp
Average 2,500-4,500: 429 lb-ft, 289 hp
Average 4,500-6,000: 419 lb-ft, 417 hp
Average 2,500-6,000: 424 lb-ft, 344 hp

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...e_manifold_comparo/viewall.html#ixzz2QD2PpBZY

***i edited is post because my reading comprehension is 0.

I have this intake on my 68 dart with an eddy 750 and a k&n filter and it is VERY close to my hood!! I beleive my K&N is only 2 inch but I would have to measure to be sure. opps, just noticed that you are talking big block while I have a small block- sorry!

Another option would be a CH4B. You can still find them on Evilbay and classifieds. They tested well against all other 2planes coming up just shy of the RPM for peak and avg numbers with a lower profile.
file.php

file.php

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...nifold_engine_and_rpm_range_test/viewall.html

DP4B would be the low deck version....and yes,it's a good piece. I did notice a seat-of-the-pants improvement when I replaced mine with the RPM. JMHO

DP4B would be the low deck version....and yes,it's a good piece. I did notice a seat-of-the-pants improvement when I replaced mine with the RPM. JMHO

Ah crap, good catch. I have RB on the brain. I went through this about 2 years ago with my 440. They are arguably the best option when clearance is an issue.

Another upside to the DP4B/CH4B is they have a Chrysler part number and I have read they are legal for many stock classes of racing.

-
Back