Intake Manifold Recommendation

-
Magnum Mopar, settle down bro. Take it easy. You could have just shown the above and said you guys are wrong, here's the proof.

If I was into kicking you in the nutz on purpose, you'd know it.

Every Magnum I have taken apart is as I have stated. That's where I got my info from. Incomplete? Sure. Books wrong? Sure.
Did I think you were a 20 something living with mom?
That thought never crossed my mind.
"Are you into public humiliation? " seriously? I guess so since you wrote it. Sorry, nope.

It seems your aged 49 years may have affected your brain...or are the engineers at Chrysler idiots like me too?
Yep, 49 can be tuff! LMAO! But I will seriously say, there are a large group here that will say Chrysler engineers are wrong. I'm not one of them. But I thought you were and insisted otherwise think you were think of the LA engine. You showed me otherwise.
Thanks for the correction.
Sorry you feel like I was getting on you.
I'm sorry.

My knowledge is from working at a Dodge dealership from 1990 until 2009. In that time I have seen the shop manuals incorrect many times. Seeing the pic you posted for the 5.9 is odd saying it had a 1.88 int valve. So, I went online to several factory dodge parts sites and looked up the 1996 5.2 and 5.9 heads and intake valves, the part #'s are the same between the two.

Well, according to the man who does Magnum swaps galore in his shop .... And his rock and Rollin book ...

Remember when the factory put out a bulletin saying, "Magnum heads won't work on the older LA blocks, no way, no how, don't even attempt it!"

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/5_9v8.htm

If you have never heard of Ginos Garage, they are well versed in the Dodge Magnum engines. This is from their experience.

I checked with a machinist friend that said Chrysler dropped the 1.88 intake valve in 2001 in favor of the 1.92" through 2003 when they discontinued the magnum. The only 5.9 magnums that came from the factory(according to rock n roll books and Chrysler "experts" were the 5.9 RT and the 5.9 that was installed in the 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited. The only 5.9's produced in 2001-2003 were Rams, Durangos Dakotas (not to many, mostly 2wd).

Excellent info. Gives me more reason to open up my '00!

Rumblefish, thanks for the pictures!! It appears that the edelbrock will work well. FWIW I hope to just use a junkyard 360 and not have to modify it other then the intake, carb, and ignition. I may pull the heads and if everything looks ok go back with thinner head gaskets. Same with the oil pan. I may replace bearings unless something is tore up and needs a crank etc. But again, I hope to keep a stock motor for now.
I though about trying to use the efi system, but figured it would be easier to go carb, and I already have a 670 street avenger holley.
Also, I have picked up a nv3500 transmission out of a 03 Dakota. I now need a 231d transfer case from a 88-92.
I have already installed an electric fuel pump, (external) and I need to install dual electric fans between the condenser and the radiator. (this is what the Shelby Dakota used)
After this, I will be ready for the 360 motor.
Again, thanks to everyone for your help and opinions!! As I progress I will post here, even though its not a a-body. But it is a mopar!!
Here is a picture of the truck.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/5_9v8.htm

If you have never heard of Ginos Garage, they are well versed in the Dodge Magnum engines. This is from their experience.

I checked with a machinist friend that said Chrysler dropped the 1.88 intake valve in 2001 in favor of the 1.92" through 2003 when they discontinued the magnum. The only 5.9 magnums that came from the factory(according to rock n roll books and Chrysler "experts" were the 5.9 RT and the 5.9 that was installed in the 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited. The only 5.9's produced in 2001-2003 were Rams, Durangos Dakotas (not to many, mostly 2wd).
'93-03 Rams and Ram vans had 5.9s. ('03 Ram is interesting since 1500s got 5.9s, 4.7s, and 5.7s while 2500s had the Hemi, diesel, and V10) '98-03 2wd R/T Daks club and reg cab had 5.9s, '00-03 Quad cab Dakas had 5.9s option. Obviously there's the 5.9 LTDs in '98 only for Jeeps then '98-'03 Durangos offered 5.9s even though the 5.2 was replaced in Daks and Durangos in 2000 by the 4.7 the '99-up Jeeps got in place of Mags. The Dak redesign saw 5.2s from '92-up and the Jeep had 5.2s from '93-'98, Dakotas/Durangos did up to '99. What I'm actually really curious about is if club cab (4x4 or SLT) Dakotas ever offered 5.9s- that'd be fascinating to know the answer to. That little known thing that in my recollection it's the SLT package that offered 5.9s throughout the '00-'03 Dakota quad cabs and Durangos and while 4x4s are common I don't think they have to be 4x4s to have the 5.9 offered- its that SLT was the expensive package on them like R/T was on club and reg cabs.

I'd never heard of 1.88 intakes on Magnums at all. The 1.92/1.625 valve replacements have always been even from Chrysler touted as a direct relacement with no mention of changes on 5.9s. It's not so much calling BS as not ever having heard of it at all.

Rumblefish, thanks for the pictures!! It appears that the edelbrock will work well. FWIW I hope to just use a junkyard 360 and not have to modify it other then the intake, carb, and ignition. I may pull the heads and if everything looks ok go back with thinner head gaskets. Same with the oil pan. I may replace bearings unless something is tore up and needs a crank etc. But again, I hope to keep a stock motor for now.
I though about trying to use the efi system, but figured it would be easier to go carb, and I already have a 670 street avenger holley.
Also, I have picked up a nv3500 transmission out of a 03 Dakota. I now need a 231d transfer case from a 88-92.
I have already installed an electric fuel pump, (external) and I need to install dual electric fans between the condenser and the radiator. (this is what the Shelby Dakota used)
After this, I will be ready for the 360 motor.
Again, thanks to everyone for your help and opinions!! As I progress I will post here, even though its not a a-body. But it is a mopar!!
Here is a picture of the truck.
Neat truck, but why the specific year 231?

The 87 has a 207 transfer case. 88 up to ? used the 231. But it is my understanding that the 231 from 88-92 use the mech. speedometer. I want to stay with that if possible.
Basically I think that the nv3500 and 231 transfer will bolt in, in place of my nv2500 and 207 transfer case. Hopefully anyways!!

Infected dog,
somehow I left out the "with 1.92 intake valve" meaning only RT and 98 GC 5.9 cam with 1.92" until they went with 1.92 in all 5.9 somewhere around 2001. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I have owned about half of those vehicles you listed so iI know them well.
They do make a 2000 Dak quad 5.9 2wd as my biz partner drives one, dont think its an slt . I have worked on a ton of Dakotas and I have never seen a club cab 5.9 that came that way from factory but with Chrysler you never know. We did build quite a few of them though.

I have personally taken a few hundred magnums apart over the last 20 years and in my experience, I would have to say less than 10% of 5.9 were 1.92"(with exception of RT and 98Grand Limited which have them already). Also a big reason we were really happy when EQ released their heads. Inexpensive, great flowing upgrade to fix 1.88/crack problem.

In 1992, the 5.2 was a Magnum and had a 1.92 intake while the 360 (5.9) was still the LA design and had shaft mounted rockers and 1.88" intake valves.

I'd bet the book carried info forward that was no longer correct.

In 1992, the 5.2 was a Magnum and had a 1.92 intake while the 360 (5.9) was still the LA design and had shaft mounted rockers and 1.88" intake valves.

I'd bet the book carried info forward that was no longer correct.

As in carried it forward right into the heads. I just threw away 3 sets of 5.9 MAGNUM ie 96+ heads that were all 1.88" intake or I would have posted pics of them. I have another to teak apart in next week or so and I will post pics of the valves.

It aint a UFO or BIgfoot, if you believe its possible you wont be ridiculed, well except for the other non believers here. I will get some pics soon so everybody can see for themselves.

I also have proof the moon landing was faked and a pic of Elvis from 1997:burnout:

I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions and help. Especially rumblefish for taking the time to post pictures!! Lots of knowledge on this board. Im still in the planning stages for my conversion to a v8. Even though its not an A-body, I am learning a lot on this forum.
Thanks again!!

-
Back