Intake manifold stud advice

-

pjc360

Reaction score
Anyone seen those intake manifold stud sets for sale? stay away from them! they are comlete junk in my opinion, let me explain why.
I put intake studs in place of the bolts when i bought my edelbrock rpm air-gap intake manifold a few years back, went to take the manifold off and broke 3 of the studs off in the cylinder head all on the drivers side tho :banghead: let me tell you how fun that was drillingthem broken studs out, took a total of 6 hours 2 hours per broken stud , was at my friends shop an we'd take turns drilling on them things, he had some sleeves? at least i think they are a sleeve of some kind that we put back in the head where the bolts went in at, got the manifold back on the engine, got the carb back on too and my buddy grabs his torque wrench i said oh no do not torque the nuts on the remaining studs, and he said oh ill only set it at 15 he torques all the bolts down and gets to the first nut on the stud and sure enough snap broke another one of those miserable pieces of junk.
By that time i was so worn out from drilling on the broken 3 that i just filled the empy spot in the manifold for the bolt up with silicone,.
So i have 1 broken stud its not on any of the corners thank goodness its right smack dab in the middle so i figured id throw some silicone in there and not worry about it, because i do plan on upgrading to the bigger R/t cylinder heads here in the for seeable future.
Just thought id let you guys know them studs are junk and i would not even consider using them at all unless your idea of fun is spending 2 hours at a time drilling out the ones that break on you, jut my opinion id stay far away from them. its like they are brittle junk, i think after they get hot and cold hot and cold they just get brittle and are worthless. hopefully this never happens to anybody else because it was not much fun.

-
Back