intake manifold?

-

RH62

Reaction score
my 318 2bbl intake manifold is missing the plate that protects the exhaust cross over. one of the mounting points for the rivet is broken too. i have another manifold from a earlier small block that has the shield but has dried crusty burnt oil under the edges bending it out on one corner. it is also a single plane and the one i pulled off is a dual plane. I have an old edelbrock sp2p manifold but it kinda looks like it should have a shield on it too but was never installed. how important is this piece? should i try and find one with a good shield or should i just go for it with one of the ones i have. kinda wanted to stick with a two barrel because i just bought a rebuilt one but i guess i can break down and get a 4 barrel... I understand that the edelbrock manfiolds you buy now dont match the 318 ports on the heads?

the exhaust crossover in the intake is only there to help warm the manifold quicker for winter driving ..most people block it off unless you drive this car in the winter. I would just cut a small plate out of aluminum flashing (like used on roofing) glue it too the heads (both heads) and put your new intake gasket over and torque it down and never think of it again

If the plate is missing I would remove the rivet(s). Grab them with a set of vice grips and twist it out. The last thing you want is the rivet coming loose and falling in the engine. Use the plate that Adam posted a link to, I used it on mine and it works fine. When you install the splash shield you may have to do a little grinding here and there for it to lay properly, not a big deal at all.

With every single engine build I make, I epoxy a mesh screen in the oil valley where the oil drains back into the pan to prevent bits of metal from entering the crank case in event of SHTF with lifter rods or whatever. I dont know about you but id remove all the broken bits and replace it with something new and solid.... not worth risking the whole engine over a cheap part.

im leaning twards the blocking off of the passage like outlaw sugested. will aluminum flashing be strong enough to handle the heat of the exhaust?
I thought the shield was to prevent oil from burning on the hot exhaust passage? not to keep the manifold from heating up. you would think the exhaust passage itself would heat the manifold up more then the oil splash
!

The shield is to keep hot oil off of the bottom of the manifold. As far as the flashing, it will work for a while, I used it on mine and it blew through a couple of weeks ago on one of my 6 grand romps. What I am going to do is stuff the crossover with packed aluminum foil as well as the flashing next time around.

They do make an intake gasket with the crossover blocked, so I may go that route.

wouldnt want that exhaust crossover to get too hot!

Where are you located?

I've got one of those intakes just laying around.

Where are you located?

I've got one of those intakes just laying around.

I'm in california 94580, I'm afraid of what shipping might be though. Those things are heavy!
Thank you anyways.
The machine shop said not to worry about it that it's not necessary. None of the aftermarket manifolds have them either.

-
Back