intake needs cutting how to measure

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
ok guys bob got the low buck motor done now I need to know how to measure the intake to be cut to fit the heads????.the heads im sure has been cut but how much I have no idea so I need to find out what needs to come off the heads to finish that up..

I read to bolt the intake to 1 side of the head and measure from there with a gasket of the thickness I plan to use..anybody use this way or try it????any help would be great..

Earth mover,..If you place the manifold on the heads WITHOUT the gaskets it will usually be very close. You can then measure the gasket thickness with a caliper. If the manifold still doesnt fit , you can cut strips of thin cardboard like soda cartons ect. and slide under manifold at the corners to simulate gasket thicknesses. When you find the thickness that lines up the best, have the manifold milled HALF of what that measurement is. This will allow for compression of the gaskets when torqued down. try to sneek up on this,..you can always have it milled again. A little hard to put it back after it has been removed. A little work and time consuming but it works every time for me.

Terry

Earth mover,..If you place the manifold on the heads WITHOUT the gaskets it will usually be very close. You can then measure the gasket thickness with a caliper. If the manifold still doesnt fit , you can cut strips of thin cardboard like soda cartons ect. and slide under manifold at the corners to simulate gasket thicknesses. When you find the thickness that lines up the best, have the manifold milled HALF of what that measurement is. This will allow for compression of the gaskets when torqued down. try to sneek up on this,..you can always have it milled again. A little hard to put it back after it has been removed. A little work and time consuming but it works every time for me.

Terry

This ^^^^^^^

thanks guys ill see if I can get to that tomorrow..

-
Back