Intake on milled heads

-

gumper

Reaction score
Putting a different manifold on my 408 for the fuel injection. My heads were milled .010" when they were getting ported. Do I need to have the new intake milled to fit, or should things line up fine since it was only .010"?

Putting a different manifold on my 408 for the fuel injection. My heads were milled .010" when they were getting ported. Do I need to have the new intake milled to fit, or should things line up fine since it was only .010"?
Gasket match the ports, set it on the engine and check. u may need to drill the bolt holes out 1 size bigger. being mindful of the diff the gaskets will make, if not used for checking.

I milled my 360 heads .040 and had no problem with the intake manifold. They did ride a little on the bottom of the bolt holes. Try it if it don't work oblong the bolt holes.

Gasket matched it, but won't be putting it on until my injection stuff gets here Monday. Doesn't sound like it should be an issue.

I'm not sure .010" is enough to worry about the intake fitting. There is a formula for cutting the intake face of the head when milling the decks. Good shops will make this cut as well so factory dimension intakes will fit.

I'm not sure .010" is enough to worry about the intake fitting. There is a formula for cutting the intake face of the head when milling the decks. Good shops will make this cut as well so factory dimension intakes will fit.

i'm not an engine machinest but I think for every 0.010 off the surface you cut 0.009 off the intake side so it was probably done

Chances are your head gasket is probably thicker than the factory gasket. It might actually line up better check and see.

mill intake .0123" for .010" off head surface.

-
Back