Intake part question

-

CLAY72dart

Reaction score
What is this thing circled in yellow never seen it before and my 72 has a massive vacuum leak from it.

5155D7B3-ECA6-4263-B1C0-4A581C725503.jpeg

F15F9861-0BA7-4F4B-ACDE-20F2FD65D6CF.jpeg

Choke heat stove. May have a sheet metal insert that rusted out, most were cast in the intake. just make a plate to go over it and seal it off.

Choke heat stove. May have a sheet metal insert that rusted out, most were cast in the intake. just make a plate to go over it and seal it off.
Yeah it has a shield over it and i think it is messing up my low idle in first gear at red lights it drops my ammeter and will sputter out if I don’t hold my foot on the gas a little.

17D81923-AFA1-4B61-8E50-999CAEBCEF05.jpeg

Should have had something similar to this from the factory. The choke mechanism would sit inside of this.

Do you really have a poly 318 in your 72 Valiant? (your pic from google).

It's an exhaust leak, not vacuum leak. Also, if it was me, I would rough up the new choke well with sandpaper and paint it with several coats of high temp barbeque black paint. That will help it to not rust out. OR you can get an aftermarket aluminum intake manifold that the choke well is not open to the exhaust cross over.

I will just buy an edelbrock intake.
As asked above, are You just using that Poly intake as a reference? An Eddy intake won't fix whats wrong, unless You've got mis-matched parts that are leaking vacuum etc. If You're pointing out what is actually an EGR base from an LA intake, that CAN be a source of vacuum leakage, but a new EGR gasket is all You need under the block-off to fix it.

Yeah it has a shield over it and i think it is messing up my low idle in first gear at red lights it drops my ammeter and will sputter out if I don’t hold my foot on the gas a little.
Take the shield off, and look inside the choke well. Many were solid inside, with no possibility of a leak anywhere. Just used as a heat source for an automatic choke. My bet is you have a vacuum leak from another source. Carb ports, carb base gasket, intake, etc.

Sounds like same thing I had on another brand pickup when I was a young’un. The bolts on the base of the carb were loose and caused a vacuum leak. Put new gasket on and tightened the bolts problem solved.

Be careful of the ammeter "dropping out". In my opinion that seems like an electrical thing that wouldnt have anything to do with the choke.

-
Back