intake swap performer loss?

-
I haven't figured a way to measure the height of the air cleaner to the hood but it does look minimal. I will check the 8022 to see how much can be milled but I'm thinking it is doable. there is nothing in the rules regarding this & like Smokey Yunick used to say: if it doesn't say you cant then that means that you can! I'll keep my fingers crossed, thank you. RR

One other thing you might be able to do is to make a carb adapter out of a single level 1/4" piece of aluminum. Cut it out to fit the intake with a thin gasket and bolts at the 4 corners, then center the 2 bbl gasket up and drill the mount holes for the 2 bbl carb. Flip it over and countersink the mount holes for flush mount allen head bolts to be screwed in from the bottom after you tap the holes. Cut out the openings for the butterflies and smooth it all up. Mount the carb on the studs/bolts sticking up, nut it down and then fire it up and make it go.....WOOOMPAH!!!

:thumbsup:

that would definitely save me from having to pull the intake. I will measure the thickness of the current adapter. RR

If the adapter you already have is one of the stacked type, with 4 bbl on one side and 2 bbl on the other, making one at one level may help.

Do they have rules about gutting the bracing from the bottom side of the hood? Might be a tad bit of room there too if they don't care.

actually gutting the hood is allowed but the center area where the air cleaner is has no bracing. I dont remember if the adapter is that stacked type or not, I will check. RR

actually gutting the hood is allowed but the center area where the air cleaner is has no bracing. I dont remember if the adapter is that stacked type or not, I will check. RR
The adapter is 2 straight round holes. It is the adapter you must use if you use an adapter and it cannot be altered. The adapter is only 1/2" thick. I have dyno tested the stealth and the Edelbrock and there is little difference between the two. My motor liked the Edelbrock better.
Send a picture of your air cleaner housing. Are you using a 3" or 4" tall filter? Also pictures of the body from the side at the front with the hood and where it is interfering. You should consider using the aftermarket aluminum hood option ( see rules) it will be much lighter than the factory steel hood. That will be weight off the front of the car. You need all the help you can get there as your motor is heavier than the chevy to start with and all the chevy guys are using aluminum hoods.

Last edited:
I haven't figured a way to measure the height of the air cleaner to the hood but it does look minimal. I will check the 8022 to see how much can be milled but I'm thinking it is doable. there is nothing in the rules regarding this & like Smokey Yunick used to say: if it doesn't say you cant then that means that you can! I'll keep my fingers crossed, thank you. RR
INTAKE: Must use unaltered aftermarket aluminum
intake. From the rules.

I checked & correct the intake cannot be modified. I will get a pic of the air cleaner assy & a side view. a fiberglass hood would be pricey but it for sure would save some weight and you can have a 3" bow in it which if that is available in it would would solve the height problem. RR

I checked & correct the intake cannot be modified. I will get a pic of the air cleaner assy & a side view. a fiberglass hood would be pricey but it for sure would save some weight and you can have a 3" bow in it which if that is available in it would would solve the height problem. RR
A fiberglass hood is not legal. Did you mean to say aluminum?

Screw um. Cut a hole in the hood and run a tunnel ram and two 660s.

Rusty I would if I could! I wanted to cut out a square in the hood & raise it & stay under the 3" bow limit and I was considering what I saw on utube iirc years ago where a guy cut a garbage can lid in half & welded it to the hood for a scoup & I would weld the whole lid & stay under the 3" limit but the IMCA boss said no on the phone the other day. right now I'm thinking of going just going with the performer that it might let me just squeak by for clearance. RR

Can you just mark the bottom of the hood around the air cleaner, then take it off, flip it over, heat and hammer the clearance into it? All the rules make it sound like OEM Gold judging at The Mopar Nationals instead of beat n bang racing.....lol.

Bow the hood in the center and adjust the hood up at the hinges so that it sits high in the back.

Easiest way to determine hood clearance: a big ball of tinfoil (or, a couple) sitting on top of the aircleaner. Close the hood.

Another stupid question. Do you HAVE to run a hood?

in the past I bowed a hood by pounding it with a sledgehammer (I looked for mine the other day & could not find it). using tinfoil sounds perfect. Pretty sure you have to run a hood & that is not a stupid question. RR

The car as you see it in my sig has a performer w/1" spacer and a holley 4412 with drop base aluminum AC it dose not hit the hood. when I was running IMCA it had the rochester on it and would rub the hood. But! the hood being gutted will bow up a couple inches easy. just put some duct tape on the top of AC or underside of hood where it touches and get out there and race. If I remember correctly you have been working on this thing for at least 5 years and have yet to see the track. Get it out there!

-
Back