intake vacuum leak help

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I was retorqueing my intake and when I started to tighten the bolt next to the drivers side center my rpm's jumped from 750 to almost 1800 just from tightening the bolts. I know this means I was sucking some air most likely. What is the best and most safe way to check the manifold for vacuum leaks? I've used several methods before but thought I would ask you guys to see what unfolds.

Seems like you found a really great way to check for a manifold leak already. If it was mine, I would have new gaskets and a little Permatex in hand by now.

ether or soapy water....listen for a surge or a miss when sprayed above each intake port.

Least thats what I do....:-k

after retorqueing I hit it with some map gas and got no change in idle anywhere. I'm not losing water so I think it just needed retorqueing since it's aluminum and went through a few heat cycles. Either way, I'm watching it close and will install new gaskets if needed. Thanks for the help.

Don't forget that the leak can be on the valley side of the manifold, too.

If I had that happen on my engine, I'd pull the intake, and reseal it. I wouldn't risk damage caused by a lean condition.

after retorqueing I hit it with some map gas and got no change in idle anywhere. I'm not losing water so I think it just needed retorqueing since it's aluminum and went through a few heat cycles. Either way, I'm watching it close and will install new gaskets if needed. Thanks for the help.

Map gas works as well as propane. I have propane handy so that's what I use.

I think you've got it handled, good job!

-
Back