Interesting aquatic anomaly

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
As some of you know, I have a pond in the back yard

I also have an aquarium in the house, and the kids recently got a tank with axolotls

over the years, i have tried several times to get little bluegills from the pond and added them to my aquarium

each time i tried to add the little gills to the tank they would die within a few hours, until i just gave up on the idea (and yes, i let them acclimate)

so, the other day i decided to give the axolotls a treat...fresh fish (they normally get a diet special pellets, blood worms and fresh earth worms)

i went outside and caught a little bluegill in the net and brought it in

now, this little sucker is simply going to get eaten by the axl's anyway so i didnt even bother aclimating it, it just went straight from the container into the tank

here we are, almost a week later and not only is the little bugger still swimming, he seems to have evaded being eaten and seems happy as a clam

20210922_125712.jpg

20210922_125726.jpg

His speed and awareness of being careful makes me think it knows his room mate is a predator, I hope he/she makes it to 4 weeks, then we might see the tables turn :lol:

His speed and awareness of being careful makes me think it knows his room mate is a predator, I hope he/she makes it to 4 weeks, then we might see the tables turn :lol:
from what i read there are very few animals that make suitable tank makes to the axolotls...and bluegills are not on the list

i dont know if you know this, but those silly appendages on the top of their heads are their gills
if they get nibbles off they basically drown

but considering that this guy was supposed to be food i never gave it much thought

(i did put some ghost shrimp in there, the axls might snack on them occasionally, but they wont bug the axies)

so if gill makes it to a big enough size that he starts nipping at the axls he will be like a gladiator that won his freedom and he will go back out into the pond

I saw "aquatic anomaly" and figured someone was restoring a flood car LOL! I haven't had fish in years as pets. i do remember they were relaxing to sit and watch...

I saw "aquatic anomaly" and figured someone was restoring a flood car LOL!

and now an annoying story from the old days (dell's patent pending)

it musta been the mid 2000s and i was rocking a 99 cougar
now most people dont know this, but the last cougar ran from 99 to 02, with a minor face lift in 01

the 99 had a sunroof that attached to the tracks with plastic blocks...and these plastic blocks were subpar
by the time you hit 35K miles every single one of those blocks had failed and every one of their sunroofs leaked

(now ford knew this, so during the 01 facelift those blocks were replaced with aluminum ones, but they refused to fix the plastic ones)

now, by the time i got the cougar this was a well known fact and so every 01-02 that made it to the junkyard had the sunroof stripped out in no time, so i couldnt find any useable ones anywhere

finally, using a junkyard inventory website i located a junkyard in texas with a 01 cougar but it was listed as a "flood vehicle"

so i called them and said i wanted to buy the sunroof
they said the couldnt sell it to me, because it was an "electrical part" and they couldnt warranty it
so i said, sell it to me for half price and ill go on record stating i waive the warranty

and they did!

so i finally got my new sunroof, and spend the next saturday swapping it in
(keeping my non flooded motor of course)

not a week later, i totaled the car (this was back before you could go 3 wide down 16th street, but thats a story for a different day)

so, before the insurance came to tow the car away i pulled the sunroof and swapped the old one back in
then i turned around and put it on ebay, asking what i paid for it, and a week later i had trippled my investment

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi96.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl198%2Fdiymirage%2Fcr3.jpg

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi96.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fl198%2Fdiymirage%2Fcr5.jpg

(the roof and trunklid were the only two panels not damaged)

Axolotl, Is that a different name for salamander ?

Axolotl, Is that a different name for salamander ?
It is a particular type of salamander, and a bit of an oddball at that

It was only found in a handful of Mexican lakes, but is now pretty much extinct

Most salamander species are aquatic as little ones, but mature into land dwellers, much like tadpoles who turn into frogs

Somehow the axolotl got stuck in the water phase and retains its gills into adulthood, and it spends its entire life under water

-
Back