Interior Door Pulls

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those of you with roll cage diagonal shoulder bars that interfere with the stock door handle/rest what are you using for a door pull? I was thinking of making some type of strap/loop out of nylon strapping, similar to dog leash material. How have you guys navigated this challenge? Photos would be great!

Are there any small factory Mopar alternatives that could work?

I was able to squeeze my 6 point roll bar in with factory front and back seats and also kept the stock door pulls. Not sure if this helps.

Dart 9.jpg

Dart 10.jpg

Dart 11.jpg

I have a 75 Duster with a cage. The stock door rest hits the down bar. On the passenger side the arm rest barely hits the bar so I left it be. But on the driver side we kept the bar out farther to allow more room for me in the drivers seat. This didn't allow the use of the stock arm rest on the driver side. I ended up making one out of metal. Basically took a flat piece and went from the 2 arm rest screw holes. Than took a flat piece and went straight up. Took some round rod and bent a square that I welded to the flat metal going upwards. I made it so it clears the bar and gives me a good sturdy hold on the door. Before I made this I had a piece of old seat belt attached to the top of the door panel and just didn't care for that as much. I don't have any pictures at the moment, but will try and take one if I remember next time I'm in the garage.

For those of you with roll cage diagonal shoulder bars that interfere with the stock door handle/rest what are you using for a door pull? I was thinking of making some type of strap/loop out of nylon strapping, similar to dog leash material. How have you guys navigated this challenge? Photos would be great!

Are there any small factory Mopar alternatives that could work?

I was incorrect with my description, but here is the picture of what I made. Been using this for over 10 years and works fine for me.

doorhandle (2).JPG

doorhandle (3).JPG

doorhandle (4).JPG

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to see what I can come up with. I found a couple potential options. I'm thinking an early Falcon arm rest may work, or maybe an early VW, though I may just make one from strapping. I appreciate the ideas.

Finally got a chance to take a couple photos of the situation. In the stock location, the handle/armrest hits the down bar as shown and does not allow the door to close.

upload_2022-3-13_21-31-3.png

upload_2022-3-13_21-31-23.png

I have a couple options though. Since the rear armrests are smaller, I can use them and mount them either above or below the door bar. Which do you guys prefer???

upload_2022-3-13_21-34-14.png

upload_2022-3-13_21-34-23.png

72 and later.
I might even have a couple in my attic. Call me tomorrow afternoon and remind me to take a look.
They'd be FREE of course....

If I have them, I can drop them at your place after work this week. I might be busy tomorrow and Wednesday though.

If I have them, I can drop them at your place after work this week. I might be busy tomorrow and Wednesday though.

That'd be awesome. I'm still mulling over a couple other ideas, so please don't go out of your way or anything. Especially if they're in you attic. That'd be a total pain in the *** to have to go up there for those.

I’m not sure if you remember my backyard shop. I can get up in the attic with a ladder. I’ve been up there a bunch lately gathering parts to put the Duster back together.

CF8258C7-66A0-45FB-803B-45DD11418947.jpeg

Of course I remember your shop. I'm very envious and hopefully it won't be too much longer before we move and I can have one like it myself.

Ol' @Kern Dog came up huge today! The dude was nice enough to drop off a couple straps at my house that will become the new door pulls in my 66 Dart. I've got my plan laid out (at least mentally).

First step was to cut them to length - check. I'll be mounting them with rivnuts to the inner door structure and make trim pieces out of small angle iron for the ends to finish them up. Of course, I'll be dying them black to match the interior. These are going to be badass. Thanks again, Greg for the gift. That was really kickass!!

upload_2022-3-15_20-33-37.png

I was glad to help. Situations like this are great....when one man's parts in a shed turn out to be something that another man can use.
You would have spent 3-1/2 gallons of gas to drive out to my place to get them. Your place is along my way home and not a problem.
Evan made me a great deal on a set of 360 heads he didn't need.
THIS is what makes the hobby "affordable".

I had a little time to almost finish these up. Just have to squirt some paint/dye on the pieces and pick up some 1/4-20 button head allen screws to mount them up. These will work nicely.

upload_2022-3-20_19-4-58.png

-
Back